Learning to drive through 921 Elite Chine Walk

Gonna fish this weekend, and also spend a little time working on my driving skills. Any 921 Elite guys out there that could give pointers? Jackplate/Trim settings would be helpful if any of you have suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks, load the wells this weekend!

2. Member
    I didn't think any of the 921 had any chine?

Anyways, small wheel adjustments. Just a little bump of the wheel is all it takes. Just start slow with it and work your way up.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

3. Member
    Don't overlook leveling the load in addition to the JP/trim settings. Take a two foot level with you and put it in the middle on the big front box and move stuff around until level. Get those right and seat time will cure any chine that is left before it happens.
    2014 920/SHO

Mine definitely walks at about 68mph unless driven properly.

Best advice I can give is to raise your jack plate up to about 15 when on plane and full throttle, then slowly start trimming up a bump at a time. And keep raising the jack plate as well. I end up about 18 on the Atlas gauge when going full tilt and the last few trim adjustments are all a bump at a time while correcting with small steering adjustments. It took me a while to really figure out how to correct but once you get it it’s like riding a bike.
    ~Matt Miller
    23’ Phoenix 21 PHX - 250 ProXS

5. Member
    Thanks, I will try that. 68 is where mine starts too. Coming from a Ranger, I can say the ride is night and day (better in the Phoenix). I just gotta get this walking thing figured out. Great advice, thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick James View Post

Best advice I can give is to raise your jack plate up to about 15 when on plane and full throttle, then slowly start trimming up a bump at a time. And keep raising the jack plate as well. I end up about 18 on the Atlas gauge when going full tilt and the last few trim adjustments are all a bump at a time while correcting with small steering adjustments. It took me a while to really figure out how to correct but once you get it it’s like riding a bike.

These two videos do a great job of showing how to make steering corrections as well. Between these steering corrections and the proper jack plate and trim position you should be able to figure it out with some seat time.

I will say my boat does not require as aggressive of a steering correction as what’s shown in these videos, but it’s the same type of motion. You’ll have to just do it some and figure out what’s right for you and your set up.

~Matt Miller

7. Member
    I know my weight distribution is off too. Me and heavy plastics in day box on driver side. I need to put some plastics in the rear passenger side. But, the JP and trim info is a great place to start.

My boat is balanced the same way you’re describing yours. It doesn’t seem to affect me at all. When I’m sitting still in the water I’ve got my kid in the passenger seat and me in the driver seat with a lot of heavy plastics in the starboard rod locker. I’m definitely tilted to one side but it doesn’t seem to matter for me personally.

Also keep in mind your exact jack plate and trim settings might be different. I pulled over 200 pounds of battery weight out of my boat this year swapping to lithium so I’m probably quite a bit lighter in the back end then most boats.
    ~Matt Miller

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick James View Post

What motor, RPM and prop for the OP and the post above? With my 921XP and 4XS I'm typically running 12 on the Atlas with either a 3 or 4 blade Fury. Running 71-74, maybe I could get more running the plate higher?

10. Member
    This has been working, put my plate around 12, and start adjusting the trim. I'm doing better. Kinda windy so I'm not getting much past 70, but I know there's more power left. Will keep tinkering.

11. Member
    Our water in Florida is really hot compared to surrounding states. Your speeds will average 74-76 range depending on setup. I run a Bob's Machine Shop 10" Jackplate at "3" and it seems to be my best ride. I typically run 72-74 solo with half tank of gas, (2) 12' Talons, heavy tournament load, etc. As far as chine walking is concerned, you will develop the steering will bump to lay it flat. When it starts to walk, a quick 1" - 2" turn on the wheel then back to straight lays it down pretty nicely. You have to drive it, versus letting it dictate the back-end sway. It's hard to explain, it's more of a feel thing. The good news is your not far off from high performance specs!