Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    all the space taken by fuel tank would be battery space
    While this is a viable option, ill have to pay a marina a couple of thousand to remove my tank and retro fit the area for batteries. Anouther expense incurred because of this anti gas movement i have no desire to pay for.

2. Member
    That little box you carry around in you pocket has hundreds of times the processing power of computers that took us to the moon. Just a matter of time.

3. Member
    They will solve the battery questions with even lighter and more powerful batteries. Who knows it may be the size of a single gas tank. Just like today a modern trolling motor uses way less energy than one from 20 years ago. To work it must be able to power the motor for a full day. I'm sure they will achieve this. It will not be a sudden change. It will takes time to change, don't forget the first automobiles were steam and battery/electric. They didn't change to gas overnight.

To work for the General Public it will have to be cost effective. Thus it will not be a sudden move, I think most of you will be outfitting gas motors for awhile on your boats. The issue is you have to rethink how you think. For example a 20 foot bass boat with 30 - 31 sized batteries would not work. However having a total power source running off a battery supplied by one the size of a Dewalt tool battery would be amazing. Like I said you can not think in terms of what we have now.

Last it very must has to be better and cost no more than what we have today. If it isn't people will not adopt it.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    While this is a viable option, ill have to pay a marina a couple of thousand to remove my tank and retro fit the area for batteries. Anouther expense incurred because of this anti gas movement i have no desire to pay for.
    You will not be converting your current boat to electric. You will sell it to Bubba in Alabama and buy an all electric boat. Yes it will cost more but you buying fuel for the next ten years or oil changes. The cost of charging each night will be your only out of pocket for the next ten years. Dakota Lithium currently has 11 year warranty and talking of going to 15 year.

P01135809

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Last it very must has to be better and cost no more than what we have today. If it isn't people will not adopt it.
    Being forced to adopt it is the agenda. Fossil fuels and the use of such powered vehicles will be made so expensive, that the ordinary person will have to make a choice. Most will have to abandon any notion of having a boat other than personal powered. Automobiles will be the same and most will have to opt for public transportation. It's coming.

6. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    Just like a lot of things electric power is over rated and over sold. But that's pretty common for "future" magic.
    At one time Nuclear energy was the gift to humanity. Many don't remember that because they are too young, but it was.
    Well it became demonized to the point of being almost irrelevant as a decent energy source. Mores the pity.
    When fusion comes to reality electric will also go to a corner of the energy market. Probably where it belongs.
    No way is electric all that good for the planet. It's not a "green" anything. The materials that make the batteries are extremely caustic and dangerous. No one even talks about that. The FIX is in... for electric everything. For now :)

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    You will not be converting your current boat to electric. You will sell it to Bubba in Alabama and buy an all electric boat. Yes it will cost more but you buying fuel for the next ten years or oil changes. The cost of charging each night will be your only out of pocket for the next ten years. Dakota Lithium currently has 11 year warranty and talking of going to 15 year.
    Sorry but I'm a bubba, I don't buy any thing *new". I let others eat the depreciation cost. My F150 is an 07 that I recently put a new transmission in. I've only had minimal repairs on it. Runs like a top BUT gets 11 mpg, 5.4 trition with 130,000. Its immaculate and I will replace the motor when needed but as of now it doesnt burn oil and runs great. My Gambler is a 2000. As I said i bought one of the last 2 strokes made. I have a spare veh which is a landcruiser that is paid for. By damn do I refuse to get rid of any these paid vehicles because of this left movement. I can retire form the fire dept in 2 years and by damn if im going to spend my pension on a new boat/truck just because it is EV friendly. All are paid for and no debt!

8. Member
    I might be totally wrong but I dont see it happening within my lifetime. (im 43) I think the oil companies have too much $$ political power to allow their demise.

But hey ive been known to be wrong.

9. Member
    Good point. I just hope they will be competitively priced with current outboards...batteries included. I dont want this "green thing" to crush my wallet. I bought my 2 stroke 250 pro xs 2 y years ago used for 13k with plat warrty untill 2024. It was one of the last two strokes. A 5 minute fill up sure beats a 6 hr charge or more. Its much more convenient! It would suck to have a half day to fish but have to stay on the trailer because i have to plug into a charger!
    While I agree that I don't want things getting more expensive, do you think fishermen 20-30 years ago would ever dream that the price of bass boats would be as high as they are today? Yet people seem more than happy to pay the price...

I also don't understand why some people think that outboards will be on the list of priorities for this new push. They are just a fraction of carbon emission in the grand scheme of everything. The market will move that way, but not as quickly.

10. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    The hole shot will be near instant. Just like everything else in the bass fishing world, once the pros have it, every weekend warrior will have to have it. The current hold up is probably battery supply. Battery manufacturers can't make them fast enough to meet demand for cars. Boats are probably close to being last on the list.
    Thanos was the hero

11. Member
    I worry about the water factor. Water and lithium don't mix well... I think that's the biggest hurdle. Boats are not only sitting on water, but are not covered. A crash could turn to an explosion very quickly.
    Champion 206
    250XB

Sorry but I'm a bubba, I don't buy any thing *new". I let others eat the depreciation cost. My F150 is an 07 that I recently put a new transmission in. I've only had minimal repairs on it. Runs like a top BUT gets 11 mpg, 5.4 trition with 130,000. Its immaculate and I will replace the motor when needed but as of now it doesnt burn oil and runs great. My Gambler is a 2000. As I said i bought one of the last 2 strokes made. I have a spare veh which is a landcruiser that is paid for. By damn do I refuse to get rid of any these paid vehicles because of this left movement. I can retire form the fire dept in 2 years and by damn if im going to spend my pension on a new boat/truck just because it is EV friendly. All are paid for and no debt!
    You sound like a copy of me, except my nickname in Alabama is Bubba. My boat is a 1999 that gets 2.5 mpg. My car is a 99 TA that gets 10 mpg(have had it 22 years) and my SUV in a 2005 that gets avg of maybe 14 mpg. I will be driving all for the rest of my life. I would like to have a truck that I could call with my cell phone so it could have my trailer in the water waiting for me to drive on but I will not be able to afford it in my lifetime. I also have zero debt.

P01135809

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    I think you will be able to achieve similar hole shot and top speed with technology today, but very limited range.
    You will have to choose which boat ramp you use carefully, and fish within a few miles of that ramp if you do some running around.
    Batteries have not been improving much in recent years, all of the chemistry is known and has been for many years. Making them safer has been the main improvement. Don’t hope for some magic to happen in the near future. Some hobbies can be sacrificed for the greater good. I also enjoy bicycling. Maybe we will see a big push in safe bicycle paths ? Much better for health than casting lures.
    Ah the post that lost the internet today.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    Maybe Sally in San Francisco wants it.

15. Member
    At some point the boat will be the battery. https://newatlas.com/energy/carbon-f...tural-battery/

16. Member
    Well if there is a worthwhile electric outboard and (we) run it like we stole it there will have to be a backup gas motor or carry long tow ropes.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Asabove View Post
    Doesn't matter, it will be out of reach financially speaking for just about everybody.
    For sure, because bass boats today are so inexpensive compared to say a Tesla Model 3. What? The Tesla costs less?

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    There will be plenty of used boats for you to choose from for a very long time.

19. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Battery tech is improving at a fast rate, batteries in 5 years will be drastically better. Trying to think of achieving goals in 5 or 10 years down the road using technology of today as a guide will be way off
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

20. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Wonder who’s pockets are being padded electric is not the answer but to some they definitely believe it is.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast