Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rotator cuff surgery 6 weeks out.

How long before I can fish, operate my boat etc.? PT is going great. Thanks in advance for any experienced opinions,
    '00 Gambler Outlaw / \'02 200 EFI

My wife was pretty helpless for a few weeks. Plan on sleeping in a recliner to get comfortable.

Depends on the severity of the fix. 2005 I had quite a few things fixed (4 hour surgery) with a rotator surgery, surgeon installed 20” of cord to hold things together. I think I was fishing in 5 months

4. Member
    I have had rotator cuff surgery 3 times. Each recovery varied. It all depends on how serious the injury was. One I was good as new at about 8 weeks. The second on the same are was about 12 weeks before I could fish again without pain. The last one was serious and took about 11 months to recover. Do not over do the the PT. Do what they say and no more. I thought more was better. That was not the case and just cased some unbelievable muscle cramps in my shoulder and back area. Test it out when the therapist says you can but listen to what your shoulder is telling you. If you feel added pain, stop. You do not want to reinjure yourself. Good luck.
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!

5. Banned
    Keep it up with the PT.. follow that to a "T"

My dad had same surgery and didn't follow the PT properly. He's suffered ever since

6. Member
    I ice fished a month after. Probably not my smartest move but oh well. After 4 months I could cast but was weak. Mine took a full year to heal 100%. Best thing I ever did, wish i hadn't waited 12 years in pain before I pulled the trigger.

7. Member
    As was said previously, DO NOT miss any PT. I had my rotator cuff surgery Nov. 13,2020. My injury was extensive and required a very long 6.5 hours of surgery. My recovery was going well until I got exposed to COVID the 1st week of Jan. 2021. By the time I was authorized to return to PT, I had missed almost a month. I tried to catch up, but it was a little too late. I'm still seeing two different physical therapist, but my range of motion has plateaued. I'm at about 65-70% of where I was pre-surgery. I got back to fishing for the fist time since surgery the last week of Feb. I have been able to fish relatively pain free, but my limited right shoulder movement caused me to have to adapt some of my technique. Lol!
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

8. Member
    I was fishing in about 5 months but it took a year to be pain free. As others have said -- do the PT and don't get carried away. And each surgery is different

9. Member
    No rotator cuff surgery should last more than 2 hours. Ever.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

Quote Originally Posted by DROUTLAW View Post
    How long before I can fish, operate my boat etc.? PT is going great. Thanks in advance for any experienced opinions,
    I was back fishing in 6 weeks, carefully!!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    My wife was pretty helpless for a few weeks. Plan on sleeping in a recliner to get comfortable.
    Thank the Lord I’m 3 weeks outta that. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Also did not realize there where so many different types of pain wow! Thanks for the advise guys. My surgery was 2 1/2 hrs. 2 screws and some cord. Complete tear and partial separation from bone. Special thx for the reminder not to overdue. It’s hard by nature.
    '00 Gambler Outlaw / \'02 200 EFI

12. Banned
    Had shoulder surgery mid December, I'm 4 months in and feel great. I also had a lot of work done. 4 repairs 4 different tendons/muscles. They even cut, moved and reattached my bicep tendon. I was signed off physio and surgeon cleared me for work as of May first. Been back in the gym for last 5-6 weeks and feeling great.

i was in a sling for 8 weeks...

13. Member
    I went 4 weeks after, first hook set told me to listen to my doc.
    Mine was about 6 months to be without pain but was told to wait a year before any 3 and 4 fishing outings.
    My surgery was a little over 3 hours long. Hopefully yours is not as bad as mine was.
    Good luck and listen to the therapist and you will do fine.

14. Member
    I was fishing 7 weeks after mine. Total tear and had to cut me open because a bad one. Flipping killed me but over hand and side arm cast ok

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    I had my last one on my left in October which was pretty extensive and really worked hard in the rehab did a lot of extra work along the way and never had a setback. The Surgeon, my Physical Therapist and I met in January for an evaluation was released to start resuming more activities but my PT insisted that it would be better to wait until April before I resumed paddling my kayak.

I agreed and continued on my training and PT assigned exercises building strength and flexibility jumped back in the kayak in April took it easy paddled my Touring boat with a Euro Blade for a couple of weeks then was back in the racing boats using the wing blade paddle and never looked back had a great racing season that year.

The PT is the key as there are no shortcuts to getting back to normal so messing it up to fish a Bass Tournament before then isn't worth the consequences as a do-over won't ever be as successful as the initial surgery you'll only get out of the surgery and PT what you put into it.

The Surgical Techniques are way better than they were back in 1989 when I had my right shoulder done it was extensive surgery and highly invasive so PT was very painful. I did a lot of swimming, flexibility exercises with gradual strength building and have had no issues since fished a whole lot of hours over the years, thrown countless Batting Practice Pitches, Paddled a ton of miles with no issues on the first one either.

16. dartag1829
    Had my right one done 2 years ago on December 2nd. Did PT and more work on my own because PT is Expensive when you had a big deductible. Went to Florida Jan 28th. Starting fishing Feb 15th. I did switch my spinning reels to the other side. By the end of March I was pretty much back to normal. Don't know about driving a boat. Didn't do that until April.

Go easy you don't want to mess it up. Keep the PT and Workouts going.

17. Member
    Oh man I go in for a appt on the 28th I think mine is torn or something else. It aches like the devil wakes me up about 10-15 times a night and cant get comfy.

18. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger521znem View Post
    Oh man I go in for a appt on the 28th I think mine is torn or something else. It aches like the devil wakes me up about 10-15 times a night and cant get comfy.
    DO you have trouble raising your arm. I didn't have a lot of pain. Knew i had a problem when I had to use my left hand to raise my right arm to adjust my GPS going across the lake.

19. Member
    6 weeks for me. I used the pulley system & followed docs instructions. When I could raise my arm on my own, straight up, I knew he fixed it. And yes 1st week of recovery was bitch with pain. I picked a helluva time to quit drinkin. Oxy drugs stopped up my plumbing. Gettin old ain’t for sissy’s. ❤️ 🎣 🇺🇸

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Had shoulder surgery mid December, I'm 4 months in and feel great. I also had a lot of work done. 4 repairs 4 different tendons/muscles. They even cut, moved and reattached my bicep tendon. I was signed off physio and surgeon cleared me for work as of May first. Been back in the gym for last 5-6 weeks and feeling great.

i was in a sling for 8 weeks...
    Wow you must have had some real wild adventures getting all that damage as that is painful just to read about.

You must have had a top notch surgeon to handle all that reconstruction and you have done a tremendous job in Rehab get you back to where you are now.

I thought my first one was extensive but doesn't even get an honorable mention compared to what you've been through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast