Question Transom saver recommendations for a 90hp?

Hi - New to Suzuki owners club and power trim motors. Will soon be towing my new 2020 Alumacraft Pro 175 with a Suzuki DF90A; I haven't seen this motor in person yet.

My Suzuki owner's manual says trailer it in the operating position, unless it's too low then use a transom saver.

My gut tells me even if it's not too low for the highway I should use some sort of transom saver / motor holder anyway as the motor is about 350 lbs, and I do want to be careful as I'll be towing it about 1300 miles.

Any recommendations for this size motor?

Also, any recommendations / tips for my long haul?

Thanks!

Screenshot_20210416-072343_Message+.jpg
    This is what I just purchased

3. Member
    Here is what I use on my DF115.

Cost $3.50 and 10 minutes to make.

Rubber trailer cotton reel roller, cut to length and a slice down the side. Trim engine up, push over the tilt shaft, trim down firm. Tape measure included for scale.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-23-2021 at 07:35 PM.

4. Member
    Thanks for your inputs, ampdreamer1 and Moonlighter.

I don't think my 90hp has the twin cylinders needed for the rite hite. I'm going to contact the dealer again for more info.
    Thanks again.

5. Member
    DF115 is the same - only has the single ram. Which is why I only have the one rubber support made up. Of course if it had the twins I could just have made two of them.

I use this to support the motor when I tow my boat on 7 hour highway and backroad trips several times each year, plus many 2 hour trips locally.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    DF115 is the same - only has the single ram. Which is why I only have the one rubber support made up. Of course if it had the twins I could just have made two of them.

I use this to support the motor when I tow my boat on 7 hour highway and backroad trips several times each year, plus many 2 hour trips locally.
    What length and inner bore size did you buy, and what length is your finished product? Did you have to cut off the cone shape ends? I saw pictures of one without cone shaped ends, but still looking for some place to buy it.

Your home made item is similar to the UNIVERSAL SINGLE-RAM MOTOR SUPPORT by m-y wedge seen here
    https://m-ywedge.com/collections/uni...-motor-support

7. Member
    I bought an 8” cotton reel style roller with 20mm bore. One of these

https://www.boatingandrv.com.au/rubb...-keel-rollers/

The 20mm suits the trim/tilt shaft size on my DF115, yours is probably the same but check. Locally we can get the rollers with either 17mm or 20mm bore.

I cut the flared ends off. And then made a cut lengthwise. Once cut, it does naturally open up a bit as you can see.

Cutting with a reciprocating saw seemed to work Well. I initially tried a angle grinder with thin cutting blade but created so much foul smoke it nearly choked me! LOL!

After a bit of trial and error, I ended up with a length of 110mm.

Just took a couple of extra photos of it for you. Attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Thanks for the details, Moonlighter.
    Looking into it.