Thread: Lews or shimano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lews or shimano

I'm looking for a new reel for my phenix x10 rod. Was gonna purchase another lews tournament pro which I really like but thought about trying out the shimano curado k 200. Any suggestions? It will be for smaller crankbait fishing?

2. Member
    Shimano.. it’s not even close imo. After having used a bunch of Lews reels from 2012-present, they just don’t hold up like Shimano. My Shimano Curado E7 is older than any one of my Lews and still performs flawlessly.

To me, Shimano casts farther and lasts longer. Lews feels smoother right out of the box but that doesn’t last long. Heck even my Ardent reels outperforms my Lews. I’d even choose Abu over Lews even though they are made in the same factory too.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Of those 2 choices Shimano
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

4. Member
    Only bad reviews I see on the shimanos is the thumb button breaking off. Seems like a somewhat common complaint on the curado k reels.

The 200k is a great reel but there are better options for light baits. If you’re going to throw small cranks, I’d suggest the Curado 70/71 MGL.

6. Member
    I love my Curado K. I have never owned a reel that wasn't a Shimano but want to get my feet wet in Daiwa you might want to look at the Tatula line as they get very high reviews. I may start with a Tatula soon as my first Daiwa but will probably try the new Zillion first.

7. Member
    Well, just to give a little love to Lews, I have just about all the Lews models and I much prefer them over the Shimano’s. I know I get better distance and control over the Curado’s I had ( sold mine ). As for durability, I have yet to have any issues with the 15 or so I have. To be fair, I never had any issues with the Curado’s either, but had to lube them regularly to keep up performance. . I’ve gone years in between dropping oil in the Lews. I also have a lot of Daiwa and prefer the Lews over them except for light lures where I use some high end Daiwa.

Quote Originally Posted by reelblues View Post
    Well, just to give a little love to Lews, I have just about all the Lews models and I much prefer them over the Shimano’s. I know I get better distance and control over the Curado’s I had ( sold mine ). As for durability, I have yet to have any issues with the 15 or so I have. To be fair, I never had any issues with the Curado’s either, but had to lube them regularly to keep up performance. . I’ve gone years in between dropping oil in the Lews. I also have a lot of Daiwa and prefer the Lews over them except for light lures where I use some high end Daiwa.
    The tournament pro g is a really great reel. Son has 2, and borrow them at times while out with him. Great casting.
    Note I have mostly Daiwa SV and Shimano curados.

9. Member
    I like my Lews tournament pro lfs reels I actually don’t even use my tatula sv’s anymore.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

10. Member
    Both good reels, IMO. Can't go wrong.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

11. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jag9624 View Post
    Of those 2 choices Shimano
    +1

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

12. Member
    I have used Shimano for a long time but tried a Lews recently. Well all I can says after having it for a couple of months it's up for sale. I have purchased a couple 2021 Daiwa Zillions and i'm very impressed with them. I haven't fished a Daiwa for over 30 years. I see myself buying a few now. Good Luck

I am wanting a Shimano Curado DC but hard to spend 275.00 or so for a Reel.. I have not found a used one yet..

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    I am wanting a Shimano Curado DC but hard to spend 275.00 or so for a Reel.. I have not found a used one yet..
    If you just want to get into the DC world, Try an SLX DC. Can be had for much less than a Curado and essentially have the same DC tech. I have a Scorpion, Curado, and SLX DC and don't see all that much difference in performance. The Scorpion does have more adjustments but you can always trade up once you decide if you like it.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Thanks I'll check one of them out..

16. Member
    The higher end Lews reels are pretty good. Can't speak to the longevity of those. I have a couple of the cheaper models like the Tournament BB1 that I won in tournaments that after a few years of use, are starting to make noises and lose their smoothness. I have Shimano Citica reels over 10 yrs old that I have never even oiled ..... zero issues.
    I have had zero issues with any Shimano reel I have ever owned. (Citicas, Curados, and Chronarchs)
    2015 Legend V20
    2020 Mercury 250Pro XS 4stroke
    14" Bobs Hydraulic Jackplate
    Lowrance Live 12" & Hummingbird Helix 12" Mega (Console)
    Lowrance Live 12" & Humming bird Helix 12" Mega w/ Mega 360 (Bow)
    Bass Boat Technologies Mounts
    25P Bravo 1 FS
    8ft Blade Power Poles

17. Member
    For Lew's I love the widespool super dutys. Outside of that, I'd say Shimano. SLX DC is worth a shot. DC is some good technology.

18. Member
    Long time Shimano guy but tried Lews as well. Out of those 2 choices Shimano. Having said that, I dumped most All Shimano’s for Daiwa Tatula tw sv. Great reels and the tackle trap can hook you up. Talk to Brian
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

19. Banned
    Shimano !

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelblues View Post
    Yessir...and reelblues has had some of the "HIGHEST-END" Daiwas FOSHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast