Thread: Steering switch

Steering switch

I need to replace the double cable rack and pinion steering in my 1999 Champion F/S 190, 1999 Merc 200. I would like to switch to hydraulic steering. Any way to make that switch without removing the engine since I'm working in my driveway. I have a limited budget and I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, so product recommendations would be appreciated too.

2. Member
    The only reason you'd need to remove the engine is to get the steering cables out of it. A cut off wheel on a grinder will solve that problem. Just cut them off near the engine and pull them out. I had to do the same thing myself. I went with Seastar, but Uflex is supposed to be good as well. It's not cheap, but it was by far the best thing I ever did for my boat.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yep, Cut the cables off a the motor with an angle grinder, slide them out of the tilt tube. Then drop the rack from the pinion gears. Tie a rope on the the cutoff cables and pull from the dash. Out they'll come. best prices I've found is from JR at Pitstop Marine in NC board sponsor for the SeaStar Pro helm. Give them you cable length it will be stamped on the outside jacket of the cable (last two digits), and they'll fix you up with the hoses. Not a hard installation job, worse part of the job is cutting into your dash to enlarge the opening for the new helm.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Yep, Cut the cables off a the motor with an angle grinder, slide them out of the tilt tube. Then drop the rack from the pinion gears. Tie a rope on the the cutoff cables and pull from the dash. Out they'll come. best prices I've found is from JR at Pitstop Marine in NC board sponsor for the SeaStar Pro helm. Give them you cable length it will be stamped on the outside jacket of the cable (last two digits), and they'll fix you up with the hoses. Not a hard installation job, worse part of the job is cutting into your dash to enlarge the opening for the new helm.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

5. Member
    Uflex makes a kit with a two piece tilt tube rod that will work without requiring your motor to be shifted to the side.
    Not sure if Sea Star offers the same set up.

I installed my Seastar without moving my outboard. Like ChampioNman says, Best thing I did was cut my cable(s) and install of hydraulic was easy.

7. Member
    Thanks all. Just what I wanted to hear.

8. Member
    If your splash well opening is wide enough you don't need the split rod, but if not, it can save some time and trouble. Glad yours didn't need it.

9. Member
    When you take out your old helm, screw or clamp a piece of wood UNDER the dash in the hole to give your hole cutter a centering point. When you pull your old cables out attach a rope or wire to the stern end to pull your new hoses through with. I buy hoses long enough to go past my outboard and loop back to the actuator for stress relief. You can bleed it by yourself the same as bleeding brakes by yourself with a hose attached to the bleeder submerged in the steering fluid. Use clear vinyl tubing so you can see any air bubbles.