Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kayak or small johnboat ?

I'm thinking of getting either a kayak or small 14 ft john boat to fish some of the local ponds down by me in south Jersey . I have a 2014 basscat puma that is way to big to fit in some of these local ponds many of which have a really simple dirt ramp .Just looking for some input from some people that have either a kayak or a johnboat pro's and cons of both . Some of the issues that I wonder about with a kayak are that I'm 60 years old in fairly good shape ,walk the dog several times a day but have had hip surgery a few years ago an I don't know if I would be able to use a peddle type of propulsion kayak . Secondly I would want to get a sit on rather than a sit in type ,how difficult is it to stand up an fish in a kayak . My fat ass has no sense of balance, hence the second part of my question would I be better off just getting a small John boat to fish out of . Any suggestions on brands of both ,or experiences with either from those that also have a regular sized rig are welcome . I just don't want to be like many people that I see around me that buy a kayak use it a few times and find they don't like it and wind up losing money when they sell it . Lastly I want to add that I would look to purchase a small trailer for the kayak since it would not fit in the bed of my truck .

I don't have a lot of experience with kayaks, but from what I do have and what you talk about, I think I'd get a small, jon boat. Sitting on a kayak was very hard on my back after a while and if I were to get one of my own, It'd be one I could sit further down in and with more back support. Sitting lower also means more stability, lower center of gravity.

Have you thought about one of those little two-man bass buggy rigs? Look sorta like mini pontoon boats? My dad had one and it was very stable and quite comfy, too. Add a little trolling motor and small graph, good to go.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

3. Member
    If you can afford it Old Town has a kayak that comes with a spot lock trolling motor and it is incredibly stable. You can stand up all down and run the TM from the remote.

4. Member
    I have fished out of a kayak and the bass hunter type of plastic one or two man boats. I don't like being locked in a certain position like a kayak. Need to stretch and move around some. So I prefer the plastic type of bass hunter boat of the two. But I don't think you can beat a jon boat for overall comfort and fishability. Something like this Crestliner. It's short at 10' but very wide for the length. I also had the fancy plastic boat, the Twin Troller. Still prefer a jon.

https://www.crestliner.com/cr-jons/1000/

https://www.freedomelectricmarine.com/

I have both. My kayak is a nucanoe frontier 12 with a bow mount trolling motor and it's plenty stable for me to stand and fish at 6'5" 230 lbs. but if I was only fishing areas with boat ramps and not floating small rivers I would use the jon boat.

My dad had a 12 foot Appleby John boat when I was a kid. It weighed about 70 lbs., we fished out of it quite a bit when we lived in Massachusetts, floated the upper Charles river, which back in the early 70's had some fantastic bass fishing. No TM, my dad would sit up front and scull using a short sculling paddle to position us, and if we had to make a move, we'd both paddle. Sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't when you're fishing small bodies of water.

If you like to fish with someone else, a john is a good option as you can fish two people in it. If you're planning to be mostly by yourself, I'd consider a kayak.

7. Member
    If you can get the jon boat in and out of your truck without help it will work. Here if your vessel is over 10 ft and it has any motor it has to be registered. I have 3 kayaks but can get them in the truck. I dont want another trailer and more registration fees.

I have used both for years, and although I still have and use my kayak I wish I had kept my jon boat too. If balance and hip issues are a concern you'll do better with a small jon boat. I had a 12' that was easily maneuverable by myself pulling it out of the bed and clamping on a trolling motor.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

9. Member
    If you have any interest in fishing any kayak bass tournaments, a jon boat is a no-go. Plus, there is a big community of kayak anglers (brotherhood) you will be able to get to know in your area. If you're working from a jon-boat- you are going to be kind of in limbo- not a kayak and not a bass boat. Paddling a jon boat (it can be necessary in an emergency situation) is awkward at best- a kayak is not a problem to paddle-add a wind component and you're paddling a big sail in a jon boat. Kayaks have mounting options for trolling motors and some get over 4 mph and are still wider and stable enough to stand in. Check out the kayak pages of FaceBook/YouTube and elsewhere. Find a dealership near you and talk to them about your needs and concerns- most good dealerships are very customer oriented and want to establish a bona fide customer/dealer relationship. It has it's own culture, just like bass boats and bass boating. It is the fastest growing sport out there at present.

10. Member
    I went through this about a year and a half ago. My bass boat is too large for ponds and some small rivers. So I bought a left over model year 14' Tracker Topper jon from Cabela's for $800. I got a trailer for $700 from Fleet Farm. (I had gift cards from both stores and actually only spent about $140 out of pocket for both.)

I did some modifications for very cheap and installed carpeted plywood floors so they are flat without the ribs and very east to stand on. I installed padded swivel seats with back rests, a 30 lb. trolling motor and a 4" Lowrance. I had a 6 hp Evinrude that was a kicker motor on my deep V multi-species rig that I put on the jon also. Of course, rowing is another option on the small bodies of water as well.

The boat is light and easy to launch at any ramp. There is plenty of room and it is comfortable with two people. It is actually enjoyable to fish out of. If I had to do it again, a kayak would not even be an option for me. The jon is much more comfortable and safer. Only my opinion of course, as kayaks have become extremely popular the last few years with so many anglers.

I also sent you a PM.

I think you should look for a 13 ft. Gheenoe. Very stable

My X-FIL had a 16ft jon boat and was wide, he put a platform on the front w/24 vt. FC Troller and a small graph. a padded seat in the back with a 9.9 kicker.. night lights and only missing as livewell.. it a coated cable with a chunk of steel for is Power Pole.. he had a ragged out Chevy 4x4 to pull it anywhere in the hills of SE OKla., we caught thousands of fish out of it. it was a Fishing Machine... I wish I could find something like that again for me..

13. Banned
    Have Jackson cuda 12’ , there videos show m standing up with a leash ! Lost more gear on that yak flipping over ! There’s really no need to stand up as the seat lawn chair type , get ya above water a good foot! Monkey with rack a pita ! If we’re to start over eye looked into wide stand up paddle board ! Made for standing an super easy to transport! AUSTIN KAYAK HAS BIG FOLLOWING! One thing for sure is ya always have new gear fishing off a kayak until u learn to leash all your gear!

14. Banned
    In addition to the bass boat, I have a 15' jon w/ 9.9 merc (center row stick steer; she bad lol) and a Perception Outlaw 11.5.

I would have a hard time choosing one over the other, but the jon boat definitely gets used more.

15. Member
    I would go with a 12’ jon boat. It’ll weigh roughly 80-100lbs and there’s no need for a trailer. Just toss it in the bed of a truck or on top of a car with roof racks. I actually enjoy fishing out of the jon boat more than my ranger at times.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    There’s almost nowhere you can’t go with a 12’ Jon boat and a $100 trolling motor on the back. I have so many little ponds around me that don’t have ramps and the Jon boat is great. I fish saltwater out of a kayak often and while it’s a lot of fun it’s just not as comfortable as the Jon boat. Dollar for dollar the Jon boat will be cheaper imo.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

17. Member
    Jon boat for ponds and Kayaking for small rivers and streams

18. Member
    Thanks for all the responses after reading them and some of you bringing up a few points I didn't considerer I'm going with a Jon boat . I also forgot to mention that my dog goes fishing with me so a Kayak would have been tough . Leaving the dog home is not a option as she raises hell if she hears me pulling out of the driveway with the trailer and she is still at home . howls till she wakes someone up

if you get the john get one wider than 36

20. Member
    Check out these pondtoons at https://boatsandfishing.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast