Cracked Cowling Options

Roof collapsed on boat while in winter storage. Came out pretty good but 2004 Yamaha 200 HP Vmax cowling is cracked up pretty good. Took it out and it ran perfectly but, worried about water getting in through the cracks at some point.

1. Looked on ebay for a replacement and see some models that are close in years and model but not exact. Is there a way I can find out which years cowlings will work on my model?

2. Would Gorilla tape work to keep some of the moisture out? Or would it melt in the heat? Is there any a material or way to fix the cracks with other materials?

Any and all insight would be most appreciated

Thanks!

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Just a thought, but a good body shop can fix that pretty easy to look like new.. They may glass layer it but most likely grind out and bondo fill and paint.
    After expanding the pic it looks like it cracked on both sides pretty bad. I'd keep looking.

3. Member
    If you don't care what it looks like you could use some fiberglass and resin and patch it up, from inside and outside.
    Should be strong enough and keep moisture out, but will look terrible.
    2023 Lund 2075 Pro V Bass XS
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 250 4S

Call your insurance company
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Your insurance company should buy you a new cowling from Yamaha.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    If insurance won’t cover it fix it yourself with bondo with fiberglass in it or just get a fiberglass repair kit . It’s not that hard to do something like that you don’t have gel coat on the cowling. I fixed one a few years ago it takes a little time.

7. Member
    Depends what his deductible is on his policy....
    do a little “how to” research online and then glass it first on the inside for practice. You can find some auto spray paint that will be a very close match. Take your time and you will be surprised how nice it will come out.
    You could go all the way and purchase new decals and repaint the whole cowling.
    I had a old Evinrude cowling stolen 20 + years ago and re-did a used/ damaged one and most could not tell the difference

8. Member
    Bondo and 1 of these and she will look great!https://www.partsvu.com/yamaha-3-3l-...rcv-11-00.html
    Pool 10

9. Member
    Thanks guys. I know I can always count on the BBC boards!

I might have the very top piece of the cowling, the piece that is about 2” tall. If you are interested in it let me know.

Has a small crack on the front corner, easy fix.

12. Member

Thanks to Bassman IA for help fixing my cracked Cowling!

Thanks to the BBC boards and especially to Bassman IA for sending me the top piece of the cowling. He went above and beyond by making his own box in order to save me an additional $60.00. Just an awesome dude!

Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bearboy34 View Post
    Thanks to the BBC boards and especially to Bassman IA for sending me the top piece of the cowling. He went above and beyond by making his own box in order to save me an additional $60.00. Just an awesome dude!

Thanks again!
    Good guys on here

14. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Good guys on here

Yep... Way to go, Dave.
    Who controls John Gill?

Turned out pretty good. Glad I could help ya.

16. Member
    Very nice thing you did

17. Member
    Good stuff
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

18. Member
    I had this happen once a few years ago. My cowling didn't look as bad as yours but it did crack my transom. However it was an aluminum bass tracker and it cracked on a weld. Just figured you may want to take a close look at everything if you haven't already. Glad to see you got a replacement top piece!

19. Member
    Yep BBC is full of top notch people that are willing to help other members out & it happens all of the time.