Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pulling trigger on new H18, final thoughts?

Hi Folks,

This weekend I am planning to put a deposit down on a new, built-to-order H18 bass boat. I'm super excited, as this will be my first bass boat!

Anyway, I was hoping for any last-minute input from some of you veterans familiar with the new Xpress boats. Ultimately, I really wanted to go with an X18 or even the X19, but based on all the upgrades I want, those are simply going to be out of my price range. I have to draw the line somewhere...

So I'm going with the H18 that comes standard with the Yamaha 115 SHO. The big money options I'm getting new are:

• HDS Live 12 installed at bow
    • Ghost t/m installed w/ 3-n-1 transducer (plan to get Active Target eventually)
    • Two 10'ft raptor poles
    • Premium appearance pkg
    • Interior lights
    • Sway away tongue

I'm guessing in advance someone will say upgrade to the X18 to get the 150 for speed or resale. Neither of which are factors to me. My bigger debate has been squeezing the last bit of money out of me for either a set of poles or spending it on a hydraulic jack plate instead. For me, I see more practical use out of the poles based on how I like to fish. But it seems as if one of the largest complaints about xpress boats is fine tuning RPMS/trim to get max performance, so that's why second guessing a jack plate.

All said and done, I'm being quoted $42k on the head, which is about 7k over my max budget :)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. Member
    Enjoy your H18 and do not be surprised if you get the itch to trade up later on. It is the nature of our sport and I am speaking from experience.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    Get the recirculation pump for the livewell if you do any type of tournament fishing

4. Member
    Looking at your upgrades I see your about fishing not flying low! Hydraulic jack plate may make it easier to set up, but I would say you probably won’t miss it. Are you getting a manual jack plate? With the right prop and jack plate setting you can max out that motor to run at the best rpm for good performance. Congratulations on the boat, you will love it.
    2019 x19 175 SHO 12” Bobs jack plate

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessxpress View Post
    Looking at your upgrades I see your about fishing not flying low! Hydraulic jack plate may make it easier to set up, but I would say you probably won’t miss it. Are you getting a manual jack plate? With the right prop and jack plate setting you can max out that motor to run at the best rpm for good performance. Congratulations on the boat, you will love it.
    correct. I’m focused on fishing. Was not planning to get any jack plate at all. Thanks for your advice

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
    correct. I’m focused on fishing. Was not planning to get any jack plate at all. Thanks for your advice
    I think the manual jackplate runs around $600 or so. I would suggest getting one as it really helps with those hulls.

7. Member
    can a 115 sho be flashed and if so how much

Look at my sig. Mine is from 2012 so it is a true 18ft and can be upgraded to a 150 if I added hydraulic steering. Never wanted tp 115 does the job I need.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    Look at my sig. Mine is from 2012 so it is a true 18ft and can be upgraded to a 150 if I added hydraulic steering. Never wanted tp 115 does the job I need.

Guy on the phone at Xpress told me to get the hydraulic steering even for the 115 You think it's not needed?

10. Member
    Hydraulic steering is great compared to traditional steering regardless of h.p.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

11. Member
    yes to hydraulic steering i have owned both on 115, you will be glad you got hydraulic

12. Member
    Yeah dealer talked me into one. Said I need to get one to mount the poles anyway.

13. Member
    Hello Xpress people. I have recently purchased an 2021 Xpress boat with the 115. It does not have hydraulic steering or jack plate. It's a standard package. Love the Sea Deck and love my 115. I DO NOT love the fact that the boat list to port uncomfortably on plane. Also, I feel that it handles poorly (very poorly) in any kind of rough water. We've been test driving it since we bought it and it hasn't passed the pleasure test yet. It fishes pretty good and all seems to be well (until we use the throttle) then the pleasure seems to fade fast. Beerthirty you've probably already purchased your boat and used it. Any thoughts on my feelings above? Or any other Xpress owners want to weigh in on this.

We've made sure the load in the boat was good and properly distributed. We've turned the fin on the motor both to the left and to the right and even in the center. Still leans left. We've changed the prop from a 19 pitch three blade to a four blade (not sure of that pitch at the moment) and nothing has relieved the lean. The boat pulls right or left (depending on the direction of the pin) real hard coming out of the hole until trimmed up to 3/4. It seems that 4200 RPM and about 30 mph (trimmed as mentioned) is it's sweet spot, but what a chore to get there, especially in any kind of rough water (wind or boat wakes).

Could it be just me? Currently I rate this as the most unpleasant boat I've ever driven or ridden in. My wife is content to "live with it" (she usually drives the boat) and she's thinking maybe I'm off the mark.

I have emailed the manufacturer and talked to the dealership and the folks from the dealership even took it out to the lake to test it themselves and said they didn't find any problems. Hhmmmph! I took video of a level I placed on the deck and got it up to speed and it shows how much it is unlevel. Hhmmmph! The manufacturer referred me to the dealer and if there was a detectable problem, it would be handled through the "warranty" policy. Hhmmmph!

14. Member
    You did not mention weight distribution, particularly battery arrangement.

I had a 2018 H17 Xpress with 90 Yamaha 4 stroke which leaned to drivers side at low speed but leveled up once planed and trimmed up some.

Both trolling motor batteries were on drivers side with cranking battery on passenger side. I never reversed battery locations but believe that would have solved the problem.

Does your boat lean the same amount when your wife drives?
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

15. Member
    Thank you for your feedback there 1Holeshot. Weight distribution was addressed. Two batteries on the left, one on the right. Took one battery out from the left and yes, it leans left no matter who drives and we took all other gear out. I'm thinking the motor may be mounted somewhat askew. Not perfectly centered. Is this possible I wonder?

16. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Check the last five foot on the bottom and make sure there is not a dent on the left side that is not allowing the boat to plane out evenly.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeaux View Post
    Thank you for your feedback there 1Holeshot. Weight distribution was addressed. Two batteries on the left, one on the right. Took one battery out from the left and yes, it leans left no matter who drives and we took all other gear out. I'm thinking the motor may be mounted somewhat askew. Not perfectly centered. Is this possible I wonder?
    I suppose anything is possible. Perhaps take a steel tape and measure from each side to engine mounting bracket and if the measurements are equal the motor is centered.

Hopefully someone can offer a solution as I do not know what is causing the problem.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

18. Member
    Well had an expert drive it and said there was nothing wrong with it. We were just not going fast enough. So much for the nice relaxing boat ride. Guess we'll go into the "racing mode." Thanks everyone!

Jeaux

19. Member
    my x19 didn't like to run slow, after on pad it handled great

20. Member
    Jackplate improves performance and handling. Doesn't have to be hydraulic, manual is fine. Would recommend to do that. Footballfetch is right. $$$ well spent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast