Thread: Don Applegarth

Don Applegarth

I don't know why but I have been thinking of him a lot the last few days. We spent some good times at trade shows together and on the old Yamamoto chat line at nights. A bunch of us would start some kind of topic and others would join in. Before long a couple of hours had passed in a blink of an eye. One good dude
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    He was, I was also thinking about him the other day. We were fishing a BAIT tournament on Hartwell and he was my back seater. Man they guy could skip a boat dock. Was talking about bump he had on his neck that he was going to get checked out. He was afraid it was cancer which it turned out it was. Sure was a great guy and loved to fish. Remember him at one of the Southern Rallies on Guntersville, lightning popping everywhere and he's out on the longest docks tossing a crank bait. We were over/under if he was gonna get hit. He came off the dock a little while later and asked who one the bet.

Remember talking to Don a lot when my dad was going through his cancer battle. Don would call me and just give me a someone to talk to to talk fishing and helped me a lot kind of take my mind off of what was going on with my dad. He even called my dad a couple of times.
    always wished i could have met Don face to face.

I found one remaining “fishing with Don “ sticker when doing a fall house cleaning .. can’t bring myself to put it on my truck .. it stays on my jig building table

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sad to see but can understand been gone 15 years and most folks don't know who he is. Will be the same for most us old timers.

6. Member
    I don't know the name, can you share the story of who he is?
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

7. Member
    Talked with him once or twice. Wrote some excellent articles
    Red Sox in 6!

Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    I don't know the name, can you share the story of who he is?
    Don was one of the first members on here. Loved to fish and loved to pass info along to other people even more. He was a writer on Yamamoto's Inside Line when it was a magazine. He's the one who introduced me to BBC. Passed away way to early with cancer.
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

I remember Don from on here, never got to meet the man but truly wish I would have. If he was half the man of his legend he was a hell of a man and fisherman.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Sad to see but can understand been gone 15 years and most folks don't know who he is. Will be the same for most us old timers.
    It's been 15 years ? He tried to get me into some kind of country and western music one time. I'll talk to him about this some day ....

Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Don was one of the first members on here. Loved to fish and loved to pass info along to other people even more. He was a writer on Yamamoto's Inside Line when it was a magazine. He's the one who introduced me to BBC. Passed away way to early with cancer.
    What was Don's screename on here?

Basshawk87 I believe. Has it really been 15 years? Wow, we are all getting old...
    http://www.minnbass.com

“A ‘Liberal Paradise’ would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only Law Enforcement has guns.

And . . . believe it or not, such a place does indeed exist … It's called prison.”

Good guy, gone waaaay toooo SOOOOOOOON
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

14. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    We spent many nights im'ing or pm ing each other....hours flew by.....the man sent me so many yama baits it was unreal....fished with him on Guntersville and Lanier. The man was a stick and a damn good man. Fred, remember the time we was pulling out of Gville and Don didn't raise the motor high enough and drug Jeremy Adams skeg when they hit a pothole on the ramp? I can't say enough good things about Don.... Basshawk 87 was his name on here....rb I'd love to hear how you and Don met up.....seems he knew people all over......

I knew that I remembered his name but I couldn't figure out how because he passed away before I joined. Then it hit me. I originally joined in 2004 under a different name. I looked his screename up and sure enough I remember his siggy saying that he was a lifetime member. He had some very good posts that were informative.

"It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere