Thread: Fiberglass Care

Fiberglass Care

I tried doing a search for this but did not have much luck, I'm not that great at it. My Z18 is the first fiberglass boat I have owned and I was wondering what the best way to take care of it was? Products to use, how often, etc. I'm sure there are 100 ways of doing it, just looking for some guidance because I want to take care of my boat and keep it looking nice.

2. Member
    For me....I always used Eagle One - Wax As You Dry every time I pull my boat out of the water. It keeps the boat shiny and slick between washes. When I wash my boat I use basic car wash and then use Wax As You Dry when I dry it off. I used to wax once a year but with Wax As You Dry....I haven't waxed a boat in a few years.
    Last edited by Flippin 416; 05-04-2021 at 11:28 AM.

3. Member
    I use Bow to Stern. Begin with a clean boat. Follow the directions and get 3 light coats on it. Put a fresh coat on every month or so. In between wet rag and dry towel is all I use unless I am in some nasty water then a regular washing gets done. I never wax a boat.

4. Member
    I wipe my boat down at the ramp as soon as I pull it out of the water. I have a spray bottle with water and car wash soap in it. Spray it on the water line and wipe. I do this on the motor as well. Also wipe off any water spots. When I get home I spray it down with Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax or Lucas Slick Mist. I hand wax 1-2 time a year with Meguiar's Marine Polish. My boat is a 2013 and it looks just as good as the day I picked it up.

5. Member
    I wipe it off with slick mist after every fishing trip. I also use 303 on the seats.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

6. Member
    I wipe the boat down with Bass Boat Saver as soon as I get off the water. Works great on the fiberglass, and as a bonus, it gets all the fish blood out of the carpet too!
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

7. Member
    I use mequiars cleaner wax twice a year. And I wipe it wipe lucas speed wax or bass boat saver after every fishing trip.
    2019 Nitro Z19
    200 HP Mercury Pro XS 4s

8. Member
    I just use a waterless wash and wax spray after every use. Quick wipe down top to bottom and my 5 year old Z7 looked brand spanking new when I just sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    I use Bow to Stern. Begin with a clean boat. Follow the directions and get 3 light coats on it. Put a fresh coat on every month or so. In between wet rag and dry towel is all I use unless I am in some nasty water then a regular washing gets done. I never wax a boat.
    +1 plus you can use it on literally every part of the boat. Whatever you do, use something with UV protectant.......
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

10. Member
    dry the boat off as soon as you come off the water. Top 3 waxes in marine industry are 3m marine wax, meguiars flagship, and collinite fleetwax in no particular order.

11. Member
    I wipe down my boat and motor as soon as it leaves the water with Lucas Oil Slick Mist and use 303 on my seats once a month (use microfiber towels). I vacuum the carpet regularly and use a carpet shampoo'er with 75% water, 25% white vinegar mix as the "soap" once a year. Fair warning...when using white vinegar, you'll have to rinse, rinse, and re-rinse but man it cleans the toughest of stains! I also use Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating once or twice a year on the vast majority of the fiberglass portions of the boat. Only portion I don't touch is the very bottom of the boat.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

Vinegar and water is nearly free and works great. Do a light buff now and then and apply some wax as needed. No need for that expensive boat spray with a cool name and bottle. I also bought a nice electric power washer that I use on the boat maybe 1 time per month.

Also please don't be the guy that pulls his boat out and hogs up the launch area just to wipe down his boat......that stuff is so annoying!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    Also please don't be the guy that pulls his boat out and hogs up the launch area just to wipe down his boat......that stuff is so annoying!
    No sir lol. I always get way out of the way before I do rear tie downs and transom saver anyways