Vesselview vs mercmonitor

Pretty chunky price difference. Other than price what do you recommend. I had a mercmonitor on my old 2 stroke but sold the boat. New 4 stroke coming
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

Which Vessel View? There are 3 versions but I think you are talking about the Vessel View Mobile. There have been issues with BT connectivity but VVM does give decent info when connected. A solution is to run a data cable up to the console and install the module there. I have heard some guys are using an iPad mini and mounting it at the console instead of putting their phone at risk. VVM will not provide any info to your graphs or NMEA network.

It seems like a lot of dealers are really pushing VVM and do not seem to even know that a Mercmonitor exists. I recently had to explain AND give part numbers to a local WRMG dealer for a Mercmonitor because they did not know what it was! I ended up just ordering one from Don and will install it myself. They were pushing hard for the VVM. The same thing happened with a buddy of mine who was ordering a new boat. I much prefer the simplicity of the Mercmonitor. Just start up the motor and it works...not connecting to anything, or worrying about the state of charge of my phone.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    I left VVM simply because I did not want to have to use my phone. I guess I could have used an old phone and dedicated it to the boat. Only thing I really miss are those neat reports you can generate.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Derek- that's going to depend on which Vessel View Product you are talking about. There have been some recent developments in that area that now permit the installation of Vessel View with GARMIN and RAYMARINE (requires different hardware). See Rhonda's post, pinned at the top of the Forum, if you drop her an email and let her know what graphs you have at the console, she can assist you with the various options and special BBC member pricing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Derek- that's going to depend on which Vessel View Product you are talking about. There have been some recent developments in that area that now permit the installation of Vessel View with GARMIN and RAYMARINE (requires different hardware). See Rhonda's post, pinned at the top of the Forum, if you drop her an email and let her know what graphs you have at the console, she can assist you with the various options and special BBC member pricing.
    Thanks Don. I purchased and ran a MercMonitor from you for my 2018 ProXs 2s but have since sold the boat. I have a 200 Merc 4s on the way and looking into which product to get. I would prefer the Mercmonitor to not have to worry about messing with a phone, but they are quite a bit more expensive that the VV from what I recall. I guess I need to do more research into the different versions of VV.
    Derek Chance

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Again- depends on WHICH Vessel View Product we are talking about. BIG range in price depending on mobile, link, 403, 503, etc.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. mikesxpress
    Personal opinion:
    The Merc Monitor is in the dash, allows for always on rolling screen favorites, and provides all the detailed information you need and you don't have to fool with Bluetooth, the phone, or occupy MFD screen space to get it. Easy choice for me.

8. Member
    I've had a Mercmonitor in my boat since 2011 and love it...

powered.jpg

Data display on my Raymarine a78...

data.jpg
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Mercmonitor and a fuel gauge! Love it. That is all I need anymore. I like to have a trim gauge too but it is not necessary.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's all about what suits YOUR personal needs or wishes. And... if you simply can't decide, we can actually do BOTH.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    It's all about what suits YOUR personal needs or wishes. And... if you simply can't decide, we can actually do BOTH.
    Got my email from Rhonda. Great DETAILED information and options. I will be getting with you all when my new boat comes in. Thanks for the great service!!
    Derek Chance

12. Member
    I don't consistently use my Vessel View Mobile but Tuesday I decided to check my rpm's at full throttle and trim. I have what I would call a fairly secure phone mount on the console. I hit a little stretch of chop while watching my phone sitting in it's cradle. I'm glad I was because I was able to catch it as it was flying by. It's an iPhone 12 so would not have been cheap to replace since I didn't buy the insurance. I'm thinking I will send Rhonda an email to see my alternatives. I had the old square monitor in my last boat with limited information but at least it stayed in place.
    Last edited by jtrac; 04-29-2021 at 08:25 PM.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    I don't consistently use my Vessel View Mobile but Tuesday I decided to check my rpm's at full throttle and trim. I have what I would call a fairly secure phone mount on the console. I hit a little stretch of chop while watching my phone sitting in it's cradle. I'm glad I was because I was able to catch it as it was flying by. It's an iPhone 12 so would not have been cheap to replace since I didn't buy the insurance. I'm thinking I will send Rhonda an email to see my alternatives. I had the old square monitor in my last boat with limited information but at least it stayed in place.
    Find a cheap used phone, and dedicate it to Vessel View Mobile duty... (not to talk you out of a Mercmonitor or other Smartcraft/Vessel View product).
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A rubber strap or phone lanyard is a very wise investment if using the VV Mobile system. Have to do the same thing on my bike to prevent phone from "exiting stage right".