Help me fix this butt cap

This is an EVA butt cap that came off my ALX jerkbait rod (right in the middle of a killer jerkbait bite no less). The inside diameter of the cap is a bit larger than the outside diameter of the blank. It appears that it was originally epoxied cork surface to EVA surface. I'm thinking I should also epoxy the EVA/blank contact surfaces. I've read where it is recommended to build up the blank with masking tape and then apply a 2 part epoxy to the inside of the cap, set in place and then let dry.

Is that right? What do I do with any excess epoxy that might ooze out. Do I remove the epoxy overflow with rubbing alcohol before it dries or let dry and then sand the EVA/cork junction. What grit sandpaper?
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

2. Member
    Yes, build the blank diameter up to a little (maybe one or two extra wraps of tape) bigger than the ID of the butt cap. It's hard to tell how long the section of blank sticking out is, but I'd probably use two strips or maybe 3 strips of tape about an 1/8" wide.One at the very end of the blank, then a gap of about 1/8, then another strip of tape, with a gap between either another strip of tape, or the cork portion of the rear grip. Personally I'd get a paste type 2 part epoxy made for use on fishing rods. I use U40 Rod Bond. They have two types, one that is a slower cure, the other a faster cure. Either would work.

You leave the gaps between the strips so you can pack the gap with epoxy which serves two purposes. One gives you an epoxy to blank bond, and it seals the masking tape strips completely. Once you have the gaps filled coat everything with more epoxy. Don't be afraid of it oozing out when you slide the butt cap back on. To make clean up easier, prior to applying the epoxy take some masking tape and wrap it around the cork and the butt cap. It will protect their surfaces from any epoxy that oozes out. And it should ooze out. Once you slide the butt cap on rotate it back an forth a couple of times. This will helps spread the epoxy around the inside of the butt cap.

After you do that use a couple of paper towels wet with rubbing alcohol and wipe it off. Then peel the tape you wrapped around the components off. You'll have a nice clean grip. The last step I would do is tape the butt cap to the cork to make sure it doesn't slide back off. I used a couple of pieces of tape and make an X that runs over the butt cap and up the sides of the rear grip. Let it sit for 6 - 8 hours and you'll be good to go.

Pretty simple fix really.

Great. Thanks for taking the time to help.

The bare blank is 21/64". So I could do 1/8" wraps with a little gap between.

Do you have a rod building supplier that you recommend. Mudhole seems to have the tape and epoxy.

4. Member
    Can't go wrong with Bassbme's instruction... should be an easy fix.

I would reach out to Alex of ALX rods on the failure... I'm sure he would be interested in seeing this. He is a board member.

Other option is to find a local rod builder to make the repair if you don't want to buy the rod building supplies for a single repair issue.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

5. Member
    Any clear hardware 5 minute epoxy would work, paint stores have the tape, doesn't have to be 1/8" tape, the epoxy will seal out water and dirt, smear some on the EVA edge to cork also.

Quote Originally Posted by jbabin76 View Post
    Can't go wrong with Bassbme's instruction... should be an easy fix.

I would reach out to Alex of ALX rods on the failure... I'm sure he would be interested in seeing this. He is a board member.

Other option is to find a local rod builder to make the repair if you don't want to buy the rod building supplies for a single repair issue.
    I talked to ALX and told them I didn't want to send it back. They gave me some instructions but didn't mention building up an arbor for the cap. (I got that suggestion from a rod building site.)

I probably have 15 or so ALX rods and this isn't the first time I've had trouble with the EVA butt caps and it probably won't be the last. I figured it's time I learn to make the repair myself. I just want to do it right.

I've already ordered the U40 rod bond and 1/8" tape. Seems like the last time I talked to ALX about this they recommended sanding after replacing the cap. They didn’t mention that this time and I forgot to ask.

It's not a big deal.
    Last edited by 86 inches; 04-22-2021 at 08:35 AM.

7. Member
    You can use a tape arbor if you want but you don't need to. Use a liberal amount of 5 min epoxy...if you let it start to kick it'll be thicker and won't run out as much...apply it with a Popsicle stick. Wipe off any overflow with IPA and you should be good.

8. Member
    One more thing to add to this: with the tip top already on the blank at the other end, you might create air pressure within the blank that tries to push the butt cap off. Solution?: either wrap tape around finished repair until epoxy has set up all the way OR puncture a pin sized hole in the butt cap to let air escape. Shouldn't be a problem with 5 minute epoxy but I've had to re-do a few repairs due to this issue. FYI. Let us know how the repair goes.

Thanks for everyone's help. I have my supplies on the way. I'll let you know how it goes.