Small to medium crankbait rod

Any suggestions on a rod under 200 bucks for a good small/medium crankbait rod. Would be nice to pull double duty on it possibly with jerkbaits but not necessary. I have a Powell endurance 6’10” med rod that I really like for jerkbaits and small cranks. Was looking at the phenix -10 but not sure the limit on this rod as far as crankbait size. Also thought about goin cheaper and taking a look at the shimano SLX glass rods.

2. Member
    The Phenix X-10 is a fantastic small to medium sized crankbait rod. It will handle bigger cranks, but I generally didn't use anything bigger than a DT10 on it. I didn't care for it for throwing jerkbaits because I just prefer a shorter rod for that. I'm currently using a Dobyns Champion XP 684CB for jerkbaits and small to medium cranks and it's a great rod for both. It's $230, but you can get it for under $200 from The Tackle Trap (use the BBC10 discount code).

3. Member
    Depending on the lure weight and rod length you want I would suggest either St Croix or Dobyns.

A third choice might be Daiwa. Their regular action provides a nice action if you are trying to find a dual purpose crank/jerk rod. I should say the only Daiwa I have that is regular action is a Steez XT 701mrb. I haven't fished the other Daiwa models that are regular action.

I don't like these brands for all techniques, but I do think they provide excellent crankbait/treble hook rods. I don't use my crankbait rods for jerkbaits because I like faster action and shorter rods when working a jerkbait, but I have used the Steez XT for both and it is very good.

Good Luck

4. Member
    Daiwa Tatula Elite sounds perfect for both applications. I got a used one a few months ago but have not fished it much so cannot comment.

ALX Rods IKOS Hustler. Affordable, assembled here. Our #1 crankbait rod.

It maneuvers easily around cover and the soft tip casts a mile when fishing open banks and points. Superb, buttery smooth action from the S-Glass construction while maintaining excellent sensitivity to determine crankbait placement around grass lines and bottom composition.

Dobyns Fury 704CB

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post

It maneuvers easily around cover and the soft tip casts a mile when fishing open banks and points. Superb, buttery smooth action from the S-Glass construction while maintaining excellent sensitivity to determine crankbait placement around grass lines and bottom composition.
    He’s right you know!
    Phoenix 21PHX 250 SHO, Lowrance Carbons & Ghost & Active Target

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post

Just purchased the 7' hustler. Gonna give it a try.

I ordered this off eBay for 169.99 Daiwa Tatula Elite 7' 2" Small/Med CB Rod
    Last edited by OkieBud; 04-23-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    Just purchased the 7' hustler. Gonna give it a try.
    Thanks!