Post Water pressure guage reading to high?

I have a 98 461 with 150 Fitch. Still runs fine. Had it out for first time since last Nov 20 and noticed the water pressure gage was pegging out when running and even at idle it read 25 PSI. It normally ran approx 18-20 and impeller is only 2 yrs old. The tattle tail was shooting plenty of water and it never got hot and ran OK during the day. It has always been garaged. Just not used in last 4 months. Has the gage just gone bad? Or? In addition it is now stuck/hung at approx 25 PSI. As I remember it usually returned to 0 after shutting down.?
    Last edited by RDB; 04-21-2021 at 01:54 PM.

2. Member
    The gage has died, probably froze. time for a new one.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    I agree, probably broken. Could also be a clogged up water passage in your motor. Would be easy to check against a different gauge with 10 or so feet of tube and a double ended barb connector. Do you have a buddy with a boat that has a water pressure gauge?

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

4. Member
    Have had similar issue, it had froze over the winter. I installed a "T" in the pressure line just before the gauge with a cap. I remove the cap at the end of the season. I also took the gauge apart and "re-positioned" (bent) the tube to place the needle back to zero. Was good for reference until I broke down and replaced the gauge.