autochart pro help

Folks, I'm sorry this has probably been asked before but this 70 yo just can't "get it"

I purchased a new HB H7 mega mdi g3n and Minn Kota Terrova TM in Jan 2021.

I've been to the lake a few times trying to figure all this out... mind you I'm new to all this boating and fishing etc.

My problem is trying to chart/map portions of the lake and making a "map" with autochart.
    I have mapped a couple areas using the Autochart record and export them to the zlc and then export/convert them with autochart pro, when I hit make map all I see is these lines (see attached pic).

Reading all the "how to" tutorials, they say when you click make map I see lots of colors with contours and using the "bar" on the left to see different layers, mine does not look like the instructions say !

I also cant figure out how to use a custom shoreline and attach it to my map. I did go to Google Earth and outlined the shore line and have saved it on my pc but can't figure out how to add it to the map.

What am I doing wrong in this area ?

Hope I have explained this properly so you can understand what's in my mind, lack of proper terminology is a factor

Thanks for any help

Dave

PS, If I put the map on the zlc and put it in my h7, I can see contours and depth colors but that's about it, just looks different from what I see others look like
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dmdracer; 04-21-2021 at 12:00 PM. Reason: more info

2. Member
    If you have autochart on your H7, you don't need to convert anything in the computer program. Just store your autochart files on the ZLC in the unit; it reads it fine without converting to something else. You may need to check your map overlay on the Helix to be sure you're seeing the correct overlay on the unit. Not too sure if it picks the correct overlay without going in to the charting menu on the unit and manually selecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowboater View Post
    If you have autochart on your H7, you don't need to convert anything in the computer program. Just store your autochart files on the ZLC in the unit; it reads it fine without converting to something else. You may need to check your map overlay on the Helix to be sure you're seeing the correct overlay on the unit. Not too sure if it picks the correct overlay without going in to the charting menu on the unit and manually selecting it.
    Auto Chart LIVE is the unit built-in contour mapping software.
    Auto Chart and Auto Chart Pro are computer software to create Auto Chart contour maps.
    Those are two different file types.

You can use Auto Chart Live data or sonar log RECORDings to convert to Auto Chart with the PC software.
    May can use Saved Tracks also, you can when adding data to Auto Chart LiveShare, never used the PC software.

Auto Chart LIVE data is overlayed on whatever map background you use, Basemap, Lakemaster, Auto Chart, or Navionics.

Auto Chart contour mapping is the background mapping.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    From his description, he is using the Autochart Live recordings and then converting them. Why take the extra steps unless he is using it on a different unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowboater View Post
    From his description, he is using the Autochart Live recordings and then converting them. Why take the extra steps unless he is using it on a different unit?
    LIVE can be copied to another Zero Line Card so the same data can be used in more than one unit at the same time. So it looks like adding a custom Zero Line is the issue.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Thanks to those that replied.

Perhaps my issues is not enough area being mapped to "fill in" to look like others pics I see, I've done a few passes just to try and figure out how to use this program. I don't know !

I'm doing this to eventually have a map of this lake and help me catch more fish.... supposedly :)
    20210422_071441_resized_1.jpg This is what I see others are getting when they click map here, looks different that what my first pic looks like, maybe this will help what I'm trying to understand ??

I'll continue to work on this and figure it out eventually !

Thanks

7. Member
    For the first picture you posted:

Right click somewhere on the mapped area to bring up a list of options.
    -UN-SELECT 'Contours' to give you the shaded map.

Looks like you might also need to select 'Background Map' and 'Shoreline"

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    There is an AutoChart sticky thread at the top of this forum. In post #1 of that thread, there are multiple excellent tutorials on both creating the maps as well as creating your own Shoreline Reference. They are detailed step by step PDFs of the process. The best thing to do is to bring up the tutorial on another device while you are going through the process on your computer.

As was previously mentioned, you don't have to go through the conversion process to use your recorded maps; however, there are definite advantages to using the software to make "permanent maps".
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

9. Member
    mwh624, I did what you said and I'm seeing more like my 2nd photo and what I've been looking for from all the tutorials !

slydoggie, yes I've been thru them many times.... I do it enough and things pop out so maybe a few more hundred times I'll get it figured out !

Thanks all for your time responding to my ignorance, I am improving !

One more question, I made a map and imported it to the zlc, I apparently did not save it to the ac program before the import.... how can I copy off the zlc and save it back to ac program for further add on or playing around to further my knowledge with all this.... seems I have to start over making the same map which takes time !

the good thing is, I get more practice in figuring it out :)

10. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    There is no doubt that this software has tons of function but, with function comes complexity. I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable that I'm doing everything right... Or even aware of all I could be doing through the software.

As for your "saving" question, I don't have an answer but I don't think you have to remake the map each time. I think it will update the map on the ZeroLines card with any changes you process. With that said, I don't know if that is 100% right or not. I'm still learning myself.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

11. Member
    For those that want to learn more on Autochart PC software I found training videos for purchase online. Do a search for them as I found them pretty helpful. And no I'm not associated with these videos just throwing it out there.