Is there a way to not have a Helix G4N unit always use "auto" for the map card?

I have two Helix G4N units that every time I turn on they default to "auto" for the map card. This is annoying because in most cases I use Navionics so then I have to go through the settings to change the setting to "Navionics".
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

I was using a Navionics+ card in a Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N yesterday and had Sonar Charts turned on.
    Just checked it and it was reading the Sonar Charts map layer when I turned it on.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I was using a Navionics+ card in a Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N yesterday and had Sonar Charts turned on.
    Just checked it and it was reading the Sonar Charts map layer when I turned it on.
    Not sure what you mean. This is what I see when I turn the units on. 518BB266-7C46-493F-8C35-3AFC0BE70FAB.jpeg

Then I see this and have to change the map source each time. C8855098-E85C-4EAA-8A4B-9FB553CF43C6.jpeg
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

When I display the Chart View after start-up, the Navionics card is being read. I don't have to look at the Chart menu.

Just a few minutes ago, I started up a Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N that I had used a Navionics Hotmaps Premium card in yesterday and it also automatically displayed the Navionics Sonar Charts map layer when it got a satellite lock.

Bottom line is Auto is auto select what map card is in one of the card readers. I have a regular memory card in the other slot.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    When I display the Chart View after start-up, the Navionics card is being read. I don't have to look at the Chart menu.

Just a few minutes ago, I started up a Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N that I had used a Navionics Hotmaps Premium card in yesterday and it also automatically displayed the Navionics Sonar Charts map layer when it got a satellite lock.

Bottom line is Auto is auto select what map card is in one of the card readers. I have a regular memory card in the other slot.
    Okay, but I have both a Navionics card and Lake Master card in the slots. So it seems by default the unit will always use the Lake Master if that card is in a slot which to me is a pain since I only use the Lake Master for two lakes. Yes, I could remove that card and only insert it when needed but I shouldn't have to do that. I guess I will either have to live with it or open a case with HB to see if they can make the unit use what ever card was last used which is asking for a lot. Note, this didn't happen until the latest update. Before, when I had both cards in if the Lake Master lake was not there the unit would default to the base map or Navionics.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Okay, but I have both a Navionics card and Lake Master card in the slots. So it seems by default the unit will always use the Lake Master if that card is in a slot which to me is a pain since I only use the Lake Master for two lakes. Yes, I could remove that card and only insert it when needed but I shouldn't have to do that. I guess I will either have to live with it or open a case with HB to see if they can make the unit use what ever card was last used which is asking for a lot. Note, this didn't happen until the latest update. Before, when I had both cards in if the Lake Master lake was not there the unit would default to the base map or Navionics.
    Yes, Lakemaster priority when two cards are inserted.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    IDK if this will work but just for giggles try switching the cards between the 2 slots.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.