Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I made a HUGE MISTAKE

I am 100% to blame. Recently bought a 2005 Z20 from a private party. Boat showed some wear and tear but nothing that looked like a deal breaker. The upper right rear side of the hull (where the Z20 emblem is located) had been refinished. Previous owner said that his cover came apart while traveling causing some scratches in the gel coat. I looked at the area from the inside the hull via the battery hatch. Area showed no signs of anything other than factory glass. I tapped the transom looking for soft spots and found none. Sea trial went well. We made a deal and picked up the boat the next day, about a month ago. Ran it once since then. It ran well. I was looking under the dash to get a game plan together for electronics install. While laying on my back with a flashlight I was cutting zip ties to remove an old fish finder and found a piece of dry seaweed. I cut all the zip ties and found more seaweed, way up inside the console. Spent the money and pulled a history report - a little too late. Report showed the boat was in a collision and was heavily damaged. It was ran thru an auction as salvage. Previous owner said he had the seats recovered and carpeting replaced in 2017. I removed the seats and the passenger side trim piece. Left side of hull and deck lid by passenger console had been patched, terribly. I removed his "new" carpeting in the left rod locker revealing fully cracked bulkheads, rear of locker and front where rod tubes are located. Not only was the hull repair work done poorly, there is major delamination of the interior hull in that area. As I chip away at the Home Depot foam I find more unsettling things. I am truly sick to my stomach. I have done repair work with fiberglass in the past and I am confident to judge this boat structurally damaged to the point where it should never see water again. I am the poster child for getting a report before buying a boat. My fault. Conversation with previous owner yielded no information.

I am not making accusations at anyone about anything.

Boat was repowered with a 2016 Yamaha Vmax SHO 225. The motor has good compression and ran well the one time I used it. 2013 EZ Loader trailer. I'm not sure if I should keep the motor/jack plate and sell what parts I can or keep it together and sell it as salvage. But I don't want it to end up on the market again. I will gladly take a big financial hit to make sure the hull never sees water.

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure if I should post a pic of the boat along with the rough location to see if anyone can remember anything about it (2011 - 2012). Sometimes I need to be careful what I wish for.

Wow, that's tough - hate to hear that. Thanks for sharing.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Member
    Man that sucks.
    Do you think he knew? If so, I'd get relief by hounding him.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

4. Member
    Talk to an attorney to see if you have any recourse.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

5. Member
    Wow that's horrible. Do you think the damage was while he owned the boat? If so I would speak with an attorney but not sure on recourse if any. Bad deal all the way around and I learned something from this so thanks. The thought of getting a new to you boat home and excitement only to have this is crushing.

Have the boat surveyed by a reputable marine surveyor. Let them determine if your rig is seaworthy. If it is...enjoy it and don’t beat yourself up over the issue.

7. Member
    Awwww nooooo that sucks.

I commend you for trying to rid the hull so someone else doesn't take it on. If your instincts tell you to rid of it, being a fiberglass man as well, get rid of it.

Good will circle around back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    Man that sucks.
    Do you think he knew? If so, I'd get relief by hounding him.
    Yep!

Does the pink slip show "Salvage Title" ? Pretty sure it should !! Shame on you for not noticing it. If it doesn't, then I'd call the guy you bought it from and let him know what you found and that he needs to make it right. If he won't (more than likely) let him know you will get an attorney involved.
    Then again, If you got a really good deal, see what and how much it'll cost you to have it repaired right. That SHO should be a real advantage !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

That sucks. Hopefully you can get the dude to make it right!

Having said that, if you part out, my motor took a dump this weekend. I would potentially be interested in the SHO.

11. Member
    That's a bad deal, what was the reasoning behind the EZ Loader trailer? That would be a red flag from the beginning.

12. Member
    Very sorry to read this. I admire you for being willing to take the loss to keep this hull off the water.

Something good is in your future and I'm hoping it's soon.

13. Member
    I would think you would have some legal recourse due to lack of full disclosure .... But I'm not a lawyer

14. Member
    Unfortunately sometimes we learn lessons the hard way in life… and there’s much harder lessons than buying a salvaged boat so take solace in that. Forget about hiring an attorney / suing etc. etc. everybody says that but nobody ever does it… And at the end of the day it is a “buyer beware” situation.

That’s said if the boat is no good for you then you’ve gotta recoup some $ I.e. sell the motor / parts & take the hit and look for another rig. It’ll just be a bad memory after that.

good luck
    Last edited by BassinLA13; 04-21-2021 at 08:58 PM.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

15. Member
    It had a clean title. I'm not sure how a boat that was totaled by an insurance company, sent to auction, then registered in another state without a title then a short time later registered with a title in a third state (previous owner's state).

Thanks for the kind words from everyone. This will sting for a while but I will eventually get a bass boat. A boat is just a tool to make memories with people you care about.
    Last edited by Under Pressure; 04-21-2021 at 09:20 PM.

16. Member
    defiantly have a ranger dealer look at it to make sure its a dud and structurally dead. The seaweed under the console (do you think it actually sunk and thats why it s there). I wonder if it takes on water from those cracks and thats how it sank. be careful and have it checked out by a few reputable places keep us posted. would like to see a couple of pics of the issues.
    Last edited by ranger521znem; 04-21-2021 at 10:33 PM.

17. Member
    so does the title say SALVAGE if not and it was salvaged then maybe there were some title manipulations so there may be a legal issue there but im not a lawyer.

18. Member
    I purchased a Corvette a few years back that had a salvage title (but I knew that and the price was right) and ended up being a great car. Hopefully your boat will end up being a good one as well after you customize it to you wants and needs. Take care!

Have a good one and thank God for it!

19. Member
    I would be sick to my stomach to!

20. Member
    You sound like a guy who knows his way around. That said, I’m guessing you probably know, or know of a good attorney to speak with (I’m not saying Sue! Sue! Sue!); spend a little bit of money if necessary and be advised. You may find recourse, you may not, but given what you already have into this, it probably isn’t throwing good money after bad... yet. Last, I would seek out a marine fiberglass shop to confirm your opinion on the boat. Take all of that additional information and determine your next steps.

I’m sorry this happened to you - buying a boat isn’t supposed to be a source of this kind of angst. Good luck and keep us posted on how this all unfolds - would be a good thing to STICKY to help others.

ps - And by ALL means yes post pictures; again this is to educate and inform all parties and you know what they say about pictures.
    Last edited by carolina_cowboy01; 04-22-2021 at 11:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast