250 pro xs 4 stroke smoking issue

Posting for a friend 2020 250LPXs 4 stroke. Serial number 2B645948. Keep having alarm issues, and when it happens will go into guarding. 2 different shops have both said only thing they can find is low oil. I know one code on smartcraft came up ulow oil, this past weekend it came up starboard 34. It has happened one other time as well. This engine smokes 6 out of 10 cranks( not exaggerating like an older black max on a cold morning). Have been told this is normal by 2 different mercury shops. It doesn't smoke any other time than on startup and runs perfectly fine. Adding 2 quarts within the first 100 hrs is this normal? And have added since first service as well, the mechanic added oil yesterday as well. Just doesn't sound rite, and curious could it be valve seal issue or could anyone chime in with a thought?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There would be at least one (possibly two) more digits in that Fault that came up. Too many possible combinations for me to guess at... but PRINTOUTS from the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) history would help immensely.

What oil is he running? Should be the 10w30 Synthetic BLEND.

Also, where on the stick is the oil level, when checked CORRECTLY (see the following important link):

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....0#post11124950

This may, or may not be related to the "smoking" complaint. The two items we see most commonly contributing to this are:

1. Incorrect oil level (level too high because it was not checked properly before adding, or someone poured 7 qts into it)

2. Engine being parked at a full down tilt position (needs to be moved to a little positive trim when shut down, rather than all the way down- see engine owner's manual for more detail).

NOT normal to be having to add 2 qts of oil to one of these engines. I would be extremely surprised if it's not actually OVER-FULL when the level is checked exactly as described in the above link.

His local Mercury dealer should be able to address any concerns that are not related to one of the two (above) items.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I'll see if he can get the last dealer to print out the run history and freeze frame. As far as the oil I'm sure its whatever the dealer recommended/ mercury. I know it has been said when trimmed down all the way that it will from time to time smoke, but like I said its 6 out of 10 times we have even seen it with trimmed up a little as well

4. Member
    Also thanks don I will try to get you that information

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not to be argumentative... but would "as well" mean that you've noted it smoke with it trimmed all the way down? Keep in mind- if it sits all the way down for 1-3 minutes and you then trim to a positive angle, that action didn't resolve what happened in the first 1-3 minutes.

I would be looking at the oil level using the correct methods (and level suggested in link above) as the very first thing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I was saying that we left it trimmed up and set up he boat down instead of trimming down before shutting off and still saw it on startup

7. Member
    As far as oil being added it was added at two different dealers twice and my friend had to add one time while on the water

8. Member
    I would check the dipstick if the proper procedure has been followed in case it has the wrong dipstick
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    I would check the dipstick if the proper procedure has been followed in case it has the wrong dipstick
    As in, measure the length of the dipstick. We've had at least one member here in the forums that somehow ended up with the wrong dipstick (and thus appeared to need a lot more oil than he should).