Thread: security of BBC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

security of BBC

My computer is showing this site as insecure. Are my settings too high? Long time member and have just recently seen this.

2. Member
    Nope, BBC is not using an SSL/TLS certificate, I.E. it is using http instead of https, that is your browser just alerting you of this, nothing to worry about.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Been this way forever and Al's not going to change it.

It's been this way since Google and other browsers decided that the entire Internet has to be https even though in the majority of cases there's no need.
    Nothing would change on here if we were SSL secure. Sites that are SSL are still hacked; large sites are hacked all the time. Members don't have secure information on here and we don't use credit cards so there's no need.
    I've looked into it and determined with the webhost company that there could be significant problems which I really don't need.

Bottom line, nothing would change for members if we were https. You'll find that the vast majority of websites are not SSL unless they sell using credit cards.

5. Member
    Don’t worry ! Al has a company of Storm Troopers that take care of security.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    Don’t worry ! Al has a company of Storm Troopers that take care of security.
    That's only dangerous if you're a red shirt.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moldman View Post
    My computer is showing this site as insecure. Are my settings too high? Long time member and have just recently seen this.
    It's picking up on the stability (or lack thereof) of some of the posters. It's afraid they are going to come through your screen.

Just finished reading Permanent Record..there are no secure websites

9. Member
    I have a buddy I grew up with, seems he was always in college. Earned several doctorate degrees in computers. Worked for NASA for 14 years and then left in 2010 when they started the massive layoffs. He went to work for a firm contracted to our military, to work on their systems ...to try and protect the systems from intruders. The guy was a genius in my book. He could not talk about anything to do with his work, but he did share his thoughts on computer systems. ALL systems are prone to attacks, no matter the increption or firewalls. If an entity has the time, money, and personell, they will eventually get in. In most cases, the ones who have the resources to do this are other nations, but groups of hackers can also figure a lot out. If any company assures you their systems are absolutely secure, they are...lying.

10. Member
    I'm sorry but I got a chuckle out of BBC being "insecure", but after thinking about it it may describe some of us LOL
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    I have a buddy I grew up with, seems he was always in college. Earned several doctorate degrees in computers. Worked for NASA for 14 years and then left in 2010 when they started the massive layoffs. He went to work for a firm contracted to our military, to work on their systems ...to try and protect the systems from intruders. The guy was a genius in my book. He could not talk about anything to do with his work, but he did share his thoughts on computer systems. ALL systems are prone to attacks, no matter the increption or firewalls. If an entity has the time, money, and personell, they will eventually get in. In most cases, the ones who have the resources to do this are other nations, but groups of hackers can also figure a lot out. If any company assures you their systems are absolutely secure, they are...lying.
    Exactly! Huge corporate sites, government sites, etc., are hacked all the time. If was as simple as having https/SSL on a site to keep hackers out that would be great but it isn't.

12. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    He is correct, there is no system immune. State funded and other well funded groups will have the time and patience to work thru obstacles it order to achieve their mission. Cyber staffs are tied up dealing with an insane amount of potentially malicious traffic, no one is perfect things will get missed. I was just looking at our email system, for this week so far we have automatically stopped 3.2 million emails which were deemed malicious. How many made it past?
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    It never shows up on mine as I must have a High Level BBC Security Clearance had a whole bunch of BBCers say that I needed to be Locked Up in a Secure Place.

So evidently someone listened but still waiting for my ID Badge and Decoder Ring

14. Banned
    The only thing an SSL cert does is encrypt the data sent between you and the site. Has nothing to do with securing the actual site. Hence why market places are SSL secured. If they weren't then your transaction data (ie: credit card number, billing information, etc) would be sent in plain text. The SSL connection encrypts that data. This lessens the likelihood of a "man in the middle" attack obtaining useful information.

What you send to a site you buy things from ultimately gets stored in a database of some sort. It's up to whoever manages that site to ensure that database is not accessible via the internet.

So, what can we take from this? Don't use a password on BBC that you use elsewhere. Every time you log in that password is being sent in plain, unencrypted text. Realistically, you shouldn't be using the same password more than once anyways.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    It never shows up on mine as I must have a High Level BBC Security Clearance had a whole bunch of BBCers say that I needed to be Locked Up in a Secure Place.

So evidently someone listened but still waiting for my ID Badge and Decoder Ring
    Let me know when you get your shoe phone

16. Member
    Just make sure the password you use for BBC is not the same one you use for everything else ;).

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Just make sure the password you use for BBC is not the same one you use for everything else ;).

That's not a problem, I've hacked yours. Just waiting for the opportunity.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogchunker View Post
    Just finished reading Permanent Record..there are no secure websites

If You can log-on and see Your front porch so can some nefarious turd who is up to non-positive behavior

19. Member
    Wait until they log into your car and take over the driving. Scary but very true.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

20. Member
    You would think Snowden proved nothing is really secure. That was what, 14 years ago? Imagine what’s out there today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast