1998 175 efi starting issue after running fine

98 175 efi. Serial number 0G723890

This past weekend I was fishing and my motor started fine and ran fine for the first short run, I fished about 15 minutes, started up and ran about 4 miles and fished another spot. After about 10 minutes I went to leave and the motor would not start, it cranked fine and I checked the bulb prior to original start and at this point, firm each time. If I applied choke it would start but would not idle, once I pulled the throttle back to neutral, it would shut off. I was finally able to pull into neutral and then into gear fast enough to keep it running and it ran fine back towards the landing. I fished close to the landing for about 45 minutes, started up fine and went to the landing, tied up and shut it off and went and backed in the trailer and again it would not start without choke. No excessive smoke, no other issue. If the fuel lines are all original, is that a good place to start?

2. Member
    yes but dout thats problem , need to verify spark on all 6 when problem is ocurring
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    I will plan to do that but if it starts with the Trans/shifter disengaged/choked why would that cause the sparks to suddenly engage or work?

4. Member
    trigger moving ,ps; there is no choke on efi
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Well, spark was good on all 6 but I did find that the hose going in to the electronic fuel pump was leaking and partially collapsed allowing pressure to drop. Changed the line and pressure stays up, bulb stays firm and couldn't duplicate the issue. Could it really have been that easy?
    Last edited by DaleMc0622; 04-26-2021 at 08:42 PM.

6. Member
    Yep.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax