Massive jackplate FAIL, MOTOR DESTROYED. PLS HELP 🙏

Just purchased a 1997 pantera II, this is what happened that I can determine.
    Metal fatigue on jackplate, caused motor to fall end end up getting dragged behind the boat until it stopped. The motor wasent running when this happened, it was being towed... The cylinder head was machine ground.. hahahaha

So here is my dilemma.

-Do I bite the bullet and purchase a newer mercury 200? Verano? Scrap the block.
    -Do I consider what I have left a viable short block?
    -If I do have a viable short block..other than porting the heads.. what can I do to increase the 200s HP
    -Will a Mercury 225 hp acually work even though its rated for 200?
    -not a single drop of fluid came out of any system. No hydronic oil leaks, no oil/ gas leaks, the motor will turn a revolution by hand so its not seized.

Ok..im open to and and all suggestions except for selling my long awaited kitty..

Meow~

2. Member
    You already have the Mercury controls. You also know what brand jackplate to avoid.
    Option 1 get a newer 200 Mercury, and not a Verado.
    Option 2, if you want more power, get a 200 Yamaha SHO. You can have it flashed to over 300HP and insurance doesn't have to know.
    Options 3, get an older Mercury 200 EFI Oor even a 225 Pro Max) and save 100 lbs weight off the transom, and a few thousand dollars.

3. Member
    I would look for a low hr,used Opti 200,lots of guys are getting new 4 strokes and there is some good deals to be had now. 200 hp is plenty of power on a Pantera and I wouldn’t over power from a liability stand point. But if you want to,you can get a 225-250 Opti and put a 200 cowl on it,they are all the same size.That would be a scarey fast kitty with a 250 on it. Meow!!

4. Member
    After you get a new motor and JP I strongly suggest getting a Leash safety harness for the motor. Even though you were towing when this happened, JP failure commonly happens when striking an object while running on the water. The JP or transom gives way and the motor(spinning propeller)flips back up and strikes the driver and or passenger. You don’t have to be going scary fast for this to occur either. Drewtech on this forum has them. Google the Leash, they have reports of all the boating accidents by state where this has happened. There have been an alarming number of fatalities due to this type of accident.

5. Member
    If it turns over, I'd get a set of use heads, new wiring harness, and see if it'll run. If it turns over freely I'd say there's a good chance it'll be OK. Even if you have to replace the lower, and prop obviously) used parts are cheap.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

6. Member
    What does the part of the jack plate the motor mounts to look like?
    Fish have fins, they swim

7. Member
    Find a 3.0 L 200 optimax and put it on there. You'll have plenty on power for your kitty.

8. Member
    From the looks of it, only 1 side of the motor has damage on it.. if I can get the head off(very possible) would a set of new heads be a simple solution..

That said..can I port them and clean up the chambers for better mix and what about exhaust porting? Anything I can possibly do while I have the motor apart ..what can indo? Deck the heads to increase compression??

Might want check those clamp bolts once in while, was not metal fatigue. Looks like clamp bolts came out to me and then the lifting bolt got torn out when the motor fell off
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Might want check those clamp bolts once in while, was not metal fatigue. Looks like clamp bolts came out to me and then the lifting bolt got torn out when the motor fell off
    Im agreeing with that...

11. Member
    By the time you buy the parts you'll probably have more money and time in it than it's worth. What motor is it a 200 efi or and Opti Max.

12. Member
    The motor looks like it may only need slight work it appears to have been a 2.5 liter engine great motor if you need an engine cover PM me I will give you one you pay the freight it says Tracker on it Jay Smith is one of many 2.5 guru's I had one can't say anything bad about it
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

13. Member
    The only time the area that failed should have had pressure is during a motor height change the side clamp bolts should have been tight and caring the weight going down the road.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

14. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Sent you a PM
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years