Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I like both the Dobyns Fury 704CB or if you like slightly heavier action the 705CB. I have both and use them regularly. I could afford higher priced rods but these work so well, I do not need to spend more.
    When did Dobyns make a 704CB in the Fury line ? Never seen one.

2. Member
    I like the Dobyns Champion XP 704CB up to 3/8oz and a 705CB for crankbaits over 3/8oz

Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    The X-10 is a great rod, but it's too light for throwing crankbaits, in my opinion. I love mine...it's a great rod forpoppers, and smaller topwater like Brians B's and small walking baits. To me that's where the rod excels.

As to the OP...I would recommend the 684 Dobyns composite crankbait rod...as was mentioned above. Though I prefer the 5 power, I think the 684 would fish a 1/2oz shallow crank better than a 685 would fish a 1/4oz bait. Depending on your line, you could make a 685 work...and it would also double as an excellent short cast spinnerbait/chatterbait rod.

The X-11 might be a good choice as well. It would handle that weight range well, but it's 4 inches longer. I have limited experience with this rod. I've fished X-10's and X-12's for a long time. Just bought an X-11 last month as a topwater rod for speckled trout. It handles 1/2-3/4oz baits very well, but nit sure how it would be with crankbaits. I may try it this summer.
    I'd ordinarily agree, but I think that throwing down to 1/4 oz and in close quarters the X-10 would do a great job, and I feel it could handle the 5/8 as long as we're not talking about deeper divers. As long as he's not fishing around grass, anyhow. I would agree with the X-11 if 1/4 was very rarely being thrown and he was throwing 3/8-5/8 way more often. I think you'll be really pleased with the X-11 as a general purpose cranking rod, by the way!

Obviously everyone has different thoughts on what sticks do what well...makes getting recommendations tough!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    Kistler blade\buzz/chatter great for squarebills
    hate it for chatter baits but it’s great for squarebills

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I'd ordinarily agree, but I think that throwing down to 1/4 oz and in close quarters the X-10 would do a great job, and I feel it could handle the 5/8 as long as we're not talking about deeper divers. As long as he's not fishing around grass, anyhow. I would agree with the X-11 if 1/4 was very rarely being thrown and he was throwing 3/8-5/8 way more often. I think you'll be really pleased with the X-11 as a general purpose cranking rod, by the way!

Obviously everyone has different thoughts on what sticks do what well...makes getting recommendations tough!
    I tried throwing 1.5's with the X-10 and just found it way too light. Mainly, I just couldn't get good hook penetration. As we know, we almost exclusively fish vegetation...so that's a factor as well. Like you say, everyone has different likes/dislikes. I generally fish a little heavier on crankbaits. And most "crankbait" rods ate way too soft. If you can't bury the hooks through bone, you're losing fish. My fishing partner uses a flippin stick gor crankbaits...I can't recall the last time I saw him have a bait pull out of a fishes mouth!
    The X-10 might be good if you throw cranks on braid, which I do not. Only topwater.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The Rebellion rods are fantastic. The 7'MLRB is a great rod, very versatile, but keep in mind that it isn't a heavy cover 1/2 oz square bill rod or a rod made for ripping a 1/2 oz. lipless out of the grass. If you want a light, crisp rod with TiSiC guides in a $200 rod, the Rebellion series is a great option. I've thrown Megabass Z Cranks up to 1/2 oz Pop Max, Vision 110, square bills and lipless in open water/rocks, and the rod is impressive. I would not take it into heavy cover situations however.

I bought a rebellion, the one you suggested. I love it. You’ve described it perfectly And it will be a very versatile rod in my lineup. I crank a lot. If I were looking some thing that bends just a little deeper into the blank or perhaps was a half power lighter, what would you suggest?
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mingo72 View Post
    I bought a rebellion, the one you suggested. I love it. You’ve described it perfectly And it will be a very versatile rod in my lineup. I crank a lot. If I were looking some thing that bends just a little deeper into the blank or perhaps was a half power lighter, what would you suggest?
    Thank you! I'm glad it worked out for you. The slightly deeper flexing slightly less powerful rod you want now is the Megabass P5 Z-Crank Elseil - this one is an incredible lighter powered treble hook moving bait rod.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Thank you! I'm glad it worked out for you. The slightly deeper flexing slightly less powerful rod you want now is the Megabass P5 Z-Crank Elseil - this one is an incredible lighter powered treble hook moving bait rod.
    I decided to go for broke and ordered the P5. Will report back when I have some time with it. Plan on mounting a Metanium or Bantam on it.
    -Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12