Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spotlock and Waypoints on Helix

So I was fishing an area the other day utilizing spot lock. I thought I placed several waypoints while spot locked. I came back a few day later and had no waypoints. I was able to relocate the sweet spot because my trails still showed up. This time when marking a waypoint I paid more attention. While spot locked, if I attempted to place a waypoint, my Helix stated that the waypoint already existed. It seems when spot locked a temporary waypoint is created that will not remain. If you attempt to place a waypoint it says "waypoint already exists" but it's not permanent. Has anyone else had this happen?

2. Member
    I’m not sure if it is the same for a Helix as a Solix but if you saved “Spotlock” waypoints, they will appear in the “Spotlock” list and not in your “Waypoints” list. That’s how they appear on a Solix. Wayne or someone else will be able to verify that.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

3. Member
    I think there is also a setting (maybe under waypoint settings) that allows you to create a spotlock waypoint (or not) when you spotlock. Sounds like you want this set to "off".

4. Member
    I know what you're talking about, and it is annoying. I have to take motor off spot lock, mark the waypoint, then hit spot lock again.

Would like to know if there is a way around this
    2002 Basscat Sabre Merc 150 XR6
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

5. Member
    Save the spot lock on the remote.

The spotlock /waypoint is only temporary until saved.

Once saved on remote, it will show a waypoint with SL designation on the graph.

6. Member
    Starting on page 37. Spot lock info in the ipilot/link Helix manual. Link to manual: https://www.humminbird.com/sites/hum...AaAk_IEALw_wcB
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Member
    I get that you can save a spot lock as a waypoint, but frankly that would create a lot of waypoints the way I fish.

The issue is this, I am fishing an area I have spot locked at. I then catch a fish and would like to mark the waypoint into my Helix 10 so I click the mark button. Because there is the temporary waypoint from the spot lock, it will not allow you to mark another waypoint. I think it has to do with the fact I am using the iPilot link trolling motors GPS signal. So it wont let you put two waypoints on the exact same coordinates.
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

8. Member
    Maybe until you find a better answer you could tap spotlock to turn it off for a second while you mark a waypoint, then re-spotlock. Annoying but would probably work until you find something better.

Edit: didn't see that DMACKARAVITZ posted this idea in post #4.
    Last edited by granite; 04-21-2021 at 10:27 AM.

9. Member
    I am confused on what you are trying to accomplish.

A spot lock is a temporary waypoint.

A saved spot lock becomes a saved waypoint in the remote and the graph.

It just has a SL instead of a WP designation in front of the number.

While in spot lock, are you trying to mark another waypoint with the cursor position at another point?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Maybe until you find a better answer you could tap spotlock to turn it off for a second while you mark a waypoint, then re-spotlock. Annoying but would probably work until you find something better.
    Yes that is what works for me. Just an inconvenience.
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    I am confused on what you are trying to accomplish.

A spot lock is a temporary waypoint.

A saved spot lock becomes a saved waypoint in the remote and the graph.

It just has a SL instead of a WP designation in front of the number.

While in spot lock, are you trying to mark another waypoint with the cursor position at another point?
    Nope, trying to mark a waypoint, usually to mark where I hook up. Because of Spot locks temporary waypoint, it won't let you put down another waypoint.

If I change my settings to save each spot lock, I would have 100's of SL waypoints each fishing trip. I hardly use the remote, so going into the remote each time I want to do that and saving the waypoint is more of a hassle.

Like I said, I am able to take it off spot lock, mark the waypoint, then re engage the spot lock. That works. Just sucks when you're fishing in 2-3ft waves on Lake Ontario.
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

12. Member
    If I change my settings to save each spot lock, I would have 100's of SL waypoints each fishing trip.
    Still confused.

Would you not still have 100's of waypoints (WPs) rather 100's of SL's.

I get that you don't use the remote, but would you not end up with the same number of wps?

A waypoint has to be deleted from the graph where as a spot lock is temporary until it is saved and it's position moves with the jogging, so it's last position is where you hooked up.

I am missing something somewhere.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    I am missing something somewhere.
    If he hooked up on fish everywhere he spotlocked this would be true, but he only wants to mark a waypoint on the SLs where he catches fish.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    If he hooked up on fish everywhere he spotlocked this would be true, but he only wants to mark a waypoint on the SLs where he catches fish.
    Correct, and I may spot lock several times near a waypoint to go at a target at a different angle. I also click spot lock to turn off my Autopilot, to retie, get coffee, get a snack, use the bathroom etc.. So in a given trip I may hit that spot lock button 100+ times. Where as I may only really want to mark 4 or 5 spots.

Again, I have a solution just wanted to know if any of the experts had a better solution.

Thanks guys, I'm not the OP but I'm also certain this is the issue he is talking about.
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

15. Member
    This is the part that I am missing.

If he saved the spot lock, he would have that waypoint.

If he had 50 spot locks that day and saved none before he powered off, none would be saved in the graph(s) when he powers back up.

Only a "saved" spot lock would remain in the graph.

I have the same issue almost. I save a waypoint and then fish for an hour. I turn both units off. Come back later to fish those waypoints again and they are all gone. Not impressed with my new humminbird units at all. I’m now thinking of going back to my old brand. Never had this issue before.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnn15 View Post
    I have the same issue almost. I save a waypoint and then fish for an hour. I turn both units off. Come back later to fish those waypoints again and they are all gone. Not impressed with my new humminbird units at all. I’m now thinking of going back to my old brand. Never had this issue before.
    Seems like a different issue. I replied to your other thread.
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

18. Member
    Do you simply hit the mark button to create a waypoint? Or do you use the cursor to mark a waypoint? If your Helix is using the same GPS as the TM, then hitting "mark" will try to create a waypoint at the boat position (spotlock position). Using the cursor will change the position enough to allow you to create the waypoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    So I was fishing an area the other day utilizing spot lock. I thought I placed several waypoints while spot locked. I came back a few day later and had no waypoints. I was able to relocate the sweet spot because my trails still showed up. This time when marking a waypoint I paid more attention. While spot locked, if I attempted to place a waypoint, my Helix stated that the waypoint already existed. It seems when spot locked a temporary waypoint is created that will not remain. If you attempt to place a waypoint it says "waypoint already exists" but it's not permanent. Has anyone else had this happen?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnn15 View Post
    The Helix units "Share" waypoints. They don't transfer them between units. One unit has the waypoints created on it and the same with the other unit. So if you turn on the one unit by itself (or just first) you will not show the other units waypoints till you turn it on and they are communicating with each other. Sounds like what you are seeing. Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 04-25-2021 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Re-Do
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    The Helix units "Share" waypoints. They don't transfer them between units. One unit has the waypoints created on it and the same with the other unit. So if you turn on the one unit by itself (or just first) you will not show the other units waypoints till you turn it on and they are communicating with each other. Sounds like what you are seeing. Bob
    Mine only saves while the units are on. Once you turn the units off, then back on, all waypoints are gone, disappeared. No more way points. Start all over again. Neither unit will keep the waypoints for future reference. Garbage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast