'04 50 ELPTO faltering above idle

0T840309
    Cranks up and idles well with all 3 firing. Any attempt to go above idle is met with a badly faltering engine. Carbs cleaned recently / filter changed recently, fuel flow seems to be good. Timing link is in place, don't see any problem with it. Neighbor's boat, I don't have a manual. I 'm looking for VOM test specs for the stator and trigger. And I welcome any advice if you've run across this issue.

2. Member
    my manual is loaned to another shop cant give specs at this time tigger is tested with output (dva) along with stator output to cdm modules for sure need serv manual
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just an FYI... this engine still has an open Service Bulletin that needs to be checked. SB 1996-013 (see ANY authorized Mercury Dealer for inspection and/or correction as needed). This is a "non-expiring" campaign.

Which spark plugs do you have in it (and at what gap)?

Has a Sync-n-Link procedure been completed properly since the carbs were reinstalled? It is MANDATORY if any linkage, or any item attached to a linkage, is disturbed or removed for any reason.

Before you get too deep into testing- let's verify the above, and if they are correct- hook a timing light to each plug wire, one at a time, to see if you are losing spark when you attempt to move the throttle OR the trigger.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks Joe. I'd haul it up to you but there is no trailer, had to bum one from another neighbor to do what I've done. Pontoon that lives in Toledo Bend..
    Plugs are BPZ8HN-10 @.039. Motor ran great after the carb job, until a few days ago when this problem suddenly developed. Checked fuel pump today and it was weak and I rebuilt it. Got a little better but didn't fix it. That it got any better brought link n sync to mind. As to full correct link n sync, no, because I don't have a manual. I did verify throttle plates closed, and correct installation of throttle cable. No doubt there's more to it and I guess I'll wind up buying a manual cause I can't find the issue. I tried to do the timing light trick this morning but it was COLD by Tx. standards and I was getting wet. Cords weren't long enough to get to the port side lol. I will use the light soon as it warms up a hair. Thank you gentlemen for your replies.