Bow Mount Solix Sonar won’t work without Restoring Sonar Defaults

I’ve got a Solix G2 12” on the bow that’s networked to a Solix G2 15” at the helm. Software version on both was recently updated to 3.97 but the problem existed prior to this update. The software on the Ultrex is also up to date.

Most of the time when I deploy the Ultrex and start the bow mounted Solix, its 2D and DI sonar won’t work. The 12” bow mounted unit displays depth but the sonar chart display appears to be frozen, won’t advance and only displays the ping area on the right side of the screen.

I can switch the 12” bow unit to the 15” helm mounted unit’s sonar and the 12” displays that just fine but when it’s switched to its own sonar source from the Ultrex it simply doesn’t work. I’ve tried restarting the unit, turning the ping on and off without luck and the only thing that I’ve found that’ll get it working every time is restoring sonar defaults within settings. This restarts both units and wipes out all sonar defaults and views on both units which sucks.

Is there something else I should be doing?

2. Member
    What sonar is built into the Ultrex?
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    The Ultrex has a MDI transducer built in.

4. Member
    Then its some thing you are changing in setup. The auto setting will pick the correct transducer type.(that is what the default sets up) Don't change it from that.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Then its some thing you are changing in setup. The auto setting will pick the correct transducer type.(that is what the default sets up) Don't change it from that.
    Do the Minnkota transducers have XID?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    As far as I know I haven’t touched any sonar settings except contrast and sensitivity. I have saved various views and I do save different views on the bow unit vs the helm unit since I use each differently. I’ll double check to make sure I’m not accidentally touching and changing a setting.

7. Member
    look in the setup menu at the transducer type. If it is working maybe turn off the auto selection switch. I am not sure if any of the global switches could cause that to change. Hopefully someone knows the other ways it can change on its own. Bob

8. Member
    I don't know what they have, but other than possibly the US2, I would assume they came from HB.
    The fact it worked properly after a reset is where the assumption came from. I have not found documentation anywhere to this point. Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 04-21-2021 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Addition of reasoning

9. Member
    I grabbed this off the minn kota site listed for Mega imaging:
    Get a better view of whats below with Humminbird’s MEGA Imaging™ transducer built right into the lower unit of our most powerful, trusted motors.

10. Member
    Original poster, I have the exact same issue you have, before and after software updates.
    I have ultrex MDI and helix 10 and 12 units.

every issue you described happens to me too.
    i know I don’t change any settings and it’s happened leaving everything factory defaults ....
    it’s happened randomly, and when I lose it my SI on my helix also goes dark on the helm unit. Default reset fixes the issue.....

ive resorted to not making custom layouts or programming keyboard shortcuts because you just end up losing them.

i know we have way different units but pretty much identical issues.
    I have a 31agm dedicated to my units, the network switch is on a diff battery, and the voltage read outs is about 11.7 on both units at full charge ..... but I can fish for hours without an issue and didn’t have an issue if I leave all my factory settings alone.
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

11. Member
    You both have the same issue with different finders but the same TM and Mega DI. Maybe a call to minn kota would be productive.

12. Member
    There was an update on ipilot about a month ago. Did you both do that update as well? Sounds too much alike for coincidence. You 2 keep in touch and contact minn kota as well as HB. Bob

13. Member
    I updated both Helix Units to the most recent update. I updated my I pilot about 2 weeks ago.
    I have had it on the water twice since then.

I owe it to my boat to test it one more time with the most recent updates.

I believe my Helix 10 MDI is now holding sonar and DI from the Ultrex just fine. I even pulled the trolling motor out of the water and put it back in without putting the unit in standby, and it found bottom, and started pinging sonar correctly. However, I use the 10 MDI unit to view the Side imaging from the Helix 12 at the bow. so...

the Helix 10 was getting sonar and DI from the ultrex while showing me Side imaging from the Helix 12.
    When the Helix 12 side imaging gets very dark (Mega only) that is the exact time I seem to lose Sonar / DI from the front unit and the ultrex.

I need to do some proper testing and note taking, next time I am on the water I will document exact scenario leading up to my problem and will try to restart units before doing a factory reset.

A part of me thinks it does have something to do with being out of factory settings, as funky as that sounds. (No I didnt mess with Sonar Sources other than picking the Unit itself on the Helix 10 at front)
    I was on St clair for five hours the other day and had no issues at all with any units, but I LEFT everything as it was from factory resets. I am afraid to make custom screens and displays :( .....

When it happens in the middle of some good fishing, i will say my note taking is not the best. Frustrating after the fish stop biting :) Ill do more testing and update you OP.
    In the meantime, Definitely update all your units to same version and update the I pilot. I believe my issues have gotten better since then.
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

14. Member
    There was an update on ipilot about a month ago. Did you both do that update as well? Sounds too much alike for coincidence. You 2 keep in touch and contact minn kota as well as HB. Bob
    I updated I Pilot and everything else about two weeks ago. I’ll take a look tomorrow just to confirm everything is as expected. Luckily I retired 2.5 weeks ago and I’ll have the time!!! I’ll review the other suggestions and update the thread tomorrow.

It’s a frustrating situation when you get to a spot and have to reset everything to get it to work but that said it’s only fishing so there could be worse things

15. Member
    Just a thought. Have you set your max depth to just over the depth of the lake you are on. I think 1500 is the default max depth. During a run to a new spot with the trolling motor out of the water your unit can get confused trying to get a reading. Can't hurt to try it. Bob
    Rereading the whole thread, I think that Max depth is going to be the answer to your original question.
    Last edited by bobcoy; 04-21-2021 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Bingo I think!

16. Member
    I validated all my software is up to date. I also checked and the depth was set to auto on the units so I’ve set it to manual and will update the depth just past the max depth of the lake I’m fishing later this week. I’ll update this thread in a few days.

17. Member
    Every figure this one out Tilzbow?

My year long struggles with built in MDI finally came to an end (for now!)
    They completely replaced my Minnkota lower unit and put an all new built in MDI transducer on my boat.
    I took it out all weekend and it worked perfectly.

I had a faulty transducer from day 1.
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

18. Member
    Great. What did you have to go through? Did you take it to a Minn Kota ASC when you first had this problem? Bob

19. Member
    Great. What did you have to go through? Did you take it to a Minn Kota ASC when you first had this problem? Bob
    Basic order of events:

Bought the Units
    First trip out they would intermittently stop working.
    That happened for several months, they were just not working / working, etc.

After like 5 Months I started emailing Humminbird discussing any known issues.
    So that involved Software updates, resetting defaults, other on the water troubleshooting.
    They also sent me a new Helix to MDI ultrex adapter cable, thinking that might be bad.

That didnt work so I had to schedule a visit to the Minn Kota ASC.
    They were testing all my cables / connections / etc. They said it was working fine for about an hour hooked up during testing.
    My on the water testing showed no fix, same results.

Minnkota then sent me an external MDI transducer, to do a water test and see if its a faulty transducer.
    I didnt even have to dip the MDI into the water to know it was working differently than the built in MDI on the ultrex.
    So back to the ASC it went, this time with an order to replace the whole transducer.

I had the boat out about 4 days, and every day the imaging was great, worked right away, never went out, and no matter what I did it wouldnt stop the imaging. So i am hoping I am all set!
    It was quite a long process but that was mostly becuase every time they emailed back with something new to test, i really couldnt test until i was out on the water next.
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

20. Member
    I have found Email to be fine for a question. I don't find it useful for troubleshooting. Sitting on the phone is no fun, but the question answer thing is immediate. It is worth being on the line with them. Glad you have it running. Bob