Poison Adrena vs Loomis GLX

I'm wanting to buy a new rod for lighter (under 1/2 oz) jigs and would like to hear from those who have used the Poison Adrena 6'11" M+ and the Loomis GLX MBR843. Is the GLX 843 worth the $100 more? I know there's there's the Loomis warranty, and it's made in the USA, which are both big pluses but in terms of performance, do these rods fish more similar or is one noticeably better? FYI, I'll be replacing a Cara Head Turner - a great jig rod but I'm wanting something crisper and more sensitive. TIA

2. Member
    I have the Poison Adrena M+, never held a GLX. All i know is I will never get rid of my M+ Adrena. Soft enought tip for crankbaits, spinnerbaits and topwaters. But strong enough for jigs and texas rig hook sets. Anything up to 3/4oz Iwould say it handles amazingly The vibration transfer that you get in the rod handle is insane. You said you want CRISP and SENSITIVE. I suggest the Adrena 6'11" M+

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchduh View Post
    I have the Poison Adrena M+, never held a GLX. All i know is I will never get rid of my M+ Adrena. Soft enought tip for crankbaits, spinnerbaits and topwaters. But strong enough for jigs and texas rig hook sets. Anything up to 3/4oz Iwould say it handles amazingly The vibration transfer that you get in the rod handle is insane. You said you want CRISP and SENSITIVE. I suggest the Adrena 6'11" M+
    I agree with everything Mitchduh said about the Adrena except I fished a 1/2 ounce jig on it and it seems underpowered for that big of a jig. 3/8 its great. I actually like it to throw jerkbaits surprisingly. The handle is a little longer than I like but the action is good for it. I have thrown cranks on it as well. Its really sensitive and I love the handle.

4. Member
    I'd go with a 7'3 MH for 3/8 oz jigs or heavy if you want to go up to a 1/2 oz + trailer.. Can't speak for the GLX in terms of sensitivity. Loomis has a better warranty than shimano so that's something to consider. If you're spending that much money, I'd consider looking at the NRX as they can be found under $500 and have life time warranties... and we all know that the NRX's are the gold standard for sensitivity and the resale value is always high. If you do decide to go that route, NRX 853/893 for 3/8 oz, 873 or 854,894 for anything over 1/2 oz or if you tend to fish heavy cover. I absolutely love my 893 and have no regrets dishing out the extra money. I do have an 7'3 MH adrena but I use that as my jackhammer rod, love it for that.

5. Member
    Sorry I’m not drinking the NRX kool aid
    YES the GLX is worth the extra money however the 843 will be a little to soft for jigs.
    The GLX 844 MBR is the way to go ...
    I have fished plenty of NRX and I just love the GLX .
    The GLX MBR rods are balanced perfectly and extremely versatile ... bottom fishing or reaction type baits .
    They do both great!
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

6. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. It seems I can’t go wrong with either rod, and the extra cost for the Loomis pays for the warranty. Of course I ‘could’ spring for the 893c NRX but I personally don’t fish deep (20+ feet) often so I’d rather put the difference towards a new reel. I definitely love the look of the Adrena. That’s probably what I’ll get whenever they become available.

7. Member
    As mentioned Adrenas & GLXs are great rods. I don't have a Adrena for jigs so I can't comment on a direct comparison with the GLX MBR, but if this is truly a dedicated jig rod I would offer for consideration the GLX 853 JWR. I know we all have different preferences and different abilities on what we can feel with regard to sensitivity, but in my hands the Loomis JWRs are noticeably more sensitive than the MBRs and much better BC/jig rods. Also depending on total weight (jig + trailer) you may want to consider a 4 power. Again this is a preference issue as some people like a rod to be loaded up more than others.

If you don't like the JWRs (some people don't or can't feel the sensitivity difference) or want something more multipurpose then the GLX MBR is a very good rod, but I would be more inclined to take a chance on the Adrena at that point or look into other options at that price point. Obviously this is all just my opinion.

Good luck & tight lines.

8. Member
    I agree that the JWR GLX is a great rod... However it’s an extremely fast tip rod .
    If you notice over the past couple of years most guys have switched to a more parabolic rod for jig fishing specifically.
    Rods with super fast tips give the fish leverage to throw the hook.
    Particularly when fishing jigs because they are bulkier and easier to throw versus a rigged worm or creature.
    Go watch Tactical Bassin and hear what Matt Allen has to say on the topic ... it’s extremely educational.
    Coincidentally... he uses an GLX 844 MBR for jigs.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    I agree that the JWR GLX is a great rod... However it’s an extremely fast tip rod .
    If you notice over the past couple of years most guys have switched to a more parabolic rod for jig fishing specifically.
    Rods with super fast tips give the fish leverage to throw the hook.
    Particularly when fishing jigs because they are bulkier and easier to throw versus a rigged worm or creature.
    Go watch Tactical Bassin and hear what Matt Allen has to say on the topic ... it’s extremely educational.
    Coincidentally... he uses an GLX 844 MBR for jigs.
    I've been fishing the extra fast action JWRs for many years and using higher IPT reels and properly setting the drag I do not have problem keeping fished pinned, but I do understand some people don't like the extra fast action.

To be clear I have owned a number of Loomis MBR rods and still have a Conquest 843. They are very good all-purpose rods, but when I want "feel" techniques I go to the JWRs. I have fished both side by side for many species on many different bodies of water from ponds to the Great Lakes. I respect and appreciate others preferences including Matt Allen and I often agree with them on some issues and may even make purchases based on their opinions, but after being on the water for a considerable amount of time fishing two rods side by side I make my own decision.

I'm not sure what analysis went into "most guys are moving to more parabolic rods", but I hope more do and sell their extra fast jigging rods at a big discount :).

I personally would look to the Megabass Destroyer, Shimano Adrena, the ALX Enox, ... series if the Loomis JWR was too fast. I'm just not a big fan of the Loomis MBRs for jigging, they're not bad, but just don't do it for me. Again everyone has their preference, only time on the water and an unbiased opinion going in will tell you what is best for you. This is why I offer my opinion for consideration, not as a must do.

Tight lines
    Last edited by 2eachhisown; 04-22-2021 at 11:48 PM.

10. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I tend not to use extra-fast rods except very specific situations. My experience is they don't keep fish buttoned as well as my fast and mod-fast rods, especially when big smallies go airborne. I would agree the XF tapers are more sensitive, especially if I'm fishing deep water (over 20 ft), which I try to avoid until mid-late Summer. I have been wanting to try an ALX rod so maybe this is the time to do it.

11. Member
    The Enox and Zolo are both very good rods and excellent value for the $. I haven't tried the Ikos. Good luck with whatever you choose.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2eachhisown View Post
    I've been fishing the extra fast action JWRs for many years and using higher IPT reels and properly setting the drag I do not have problem keeping fished pinned, but I do understand some people don't like the extra fast action.

To be clear I have owned a number of Loomis MBR rods and still have a Conquest 843. They are very good all-purpose rods, but when I want "feel" techniques I go to the JWRs. I have fished both side by side for many species on many different bodies of water from ponds to the Great Lakes. I respect and appreciate others preferences including Matt Allen and I often agree with them on some issues and may even make purchases based on their opinions, but after being on the water for a considerable amount of time fishing two rods side by side I make my own decision.

I'm not sure what analysis went into "most guys are moving to more parabolic rods", but I hope more do and sell their extra fast jigging rods at a big discount :).

I personally would look to the Megabass Destroyer, Shimano Adrena, the ALX Enox, ... series if the Loomis JWR was too fast. I'm just not a big fan of the Loomis MBRs for jigging, they're not bad, but just don't do it for me. Again everyone has their preference, only time on the water and an unbiased opinion going in will tell you what is best for you. This is why I offer my opinion for consideration, not as a must do.

Tight lines
    I buy sight unseen. Research the pee out of everything before buying. I rely heavily on opinions like yours. I highly appreciate that opinion and the fact that you don't try to convert everyone to your way of thinking. Just give the facts of what works best for you. Selections would be very low if everyone was built the same way. Heck our own bodies can betray us by changing as we age. People have been known to change their preferences as they spend more time on the water. I know from personal experience that mine has changed a little. So, again, thanks for your input.

I would go with the Loomis on this one. I just bought a 7’3 MH Adrena and that would be my pick for up to 1/2 jigs...I don’t think the Med+ will handle 1/2 well
    sj7moore@gmail.com