Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

$150-$200 Jig Rod up to 3/4-1oz

I am growing more frustrated with my jig rod options I have. I'm generally unhappy with everything I have for a Jig rod right now. I mostly throw 3/8oz and 1/2oz jigs with Paca Chunk or Rage Chunk. Need some input.

Current arsenal options;

Dobyns Fury 7' HF
    Falcon Lowrider Headturner 6'10"
    Falcon Bucoo 7' Pitchin Stick
    Lews Custom 6'10' MSBR (Spinnerbait Action)
    Falcon Lowrider Lizard Dragger 7'
    Quantum Tour PT 6'10" XHXF (great rod, lots of mass to it though)

I have several other rods that fit other areas of my game, I bought the Dobyns to be my primary jig rod and not sure I like it for that. There is some price flexibility, but I rarely go over $200 for a rod. Will be paired with a Shimano Chronarch E7.

Have been thinking about something like the following;
    Halo KS II Elite Casting Rod 7'2" Heavy

Denali KOVERT Lite Series Casting Rod 7'2" Heavy

Denali Lithium Series 7'4" Med Hvy Worm/Jig Rod

St. Croix Victory Casting Rod 7'3" Hvy/X-Fast Action

Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

2. Member
    You have some nice rods there - what exactly don't you like about them? I am guessing that you might want a heavier action as a 3/4 - 1 oz. jig with a trailer requires a stiff blank to maintain good sensitivity. If it were me, I'd look for a 7'2" to 7'4" heavy action rod with a fairly fast tip. There are many good rod brands that you can choose from. You need to put them in your hand because longer heavy-action rods can feel tip heavy and that could feel even feel worse if you are using a super light reel on it. Of the rods you mentioned, I would want to take a closer look at the new St. Croix Victory but I've never seen one yet.

3. Banned
    Dobyns Kaden 714C or 744C

I figure by the time you add a paca chunk or rage chunk to a 1/2 oz jig your at 3/4oz and if I put a brush hog trailer on, probably an ounce. I'm just not sure I like the tip action on the Dobyns, just struggling with settling in with a jig rod right now. Looking for some input.
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerFish View Post
    I'm just not sure I like the tip action on the Dobyns,
    if you're referring to the Fury, then i understand. it is too moderate action for jigs. The Kaden and Champion line are a faster action.

6. Member
    Might also look at a 735 Fury. Does well for me in multiple applications including the one you describe. The Academy here usually has some in stock.

7. Member
    The new Victory line is awesome so far for me, although I have not tried the 7'3" HXF. Knowing how Croix is with their XF and the ratings of that rod I personally wouldn't use that for a 1/2oz jig. I have the 7'4" H Victory and to me it is right at home with the 1/2oz jig on it.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    if you're referring to the Fury, then i understand. it is too moderate action for jigs. The Kaden and Champion line are a faster action.
    Yes, was referencing the Fury I have... I agree, it's too moderate for jigs, but I'm sure it will have a place in my setups... Would really like to get my hands on a Victory to see what it feels like...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF

9. Member
    St Croix. I never held a dobyns that I liked. I was a big Kistler fan especially liked their casting rods but they keep increasing the prices without increasing quality of components or quality of work. The same about 5yrs ago costs roughly $75 more. Add in that they aren’t using NFC rod blanks anymore and You can get a better rod cheaper from another manufacturer
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Member
    I love both them Falcons
    The head Turner and Lizzard Dragger are great rods!
    Falcon rods always have a great parabolic action to them too.
    I drink the Loomis / Shimano Kool Aid but I have 4 or 5 Falcons in the locker and always seem to go back to old faithful quite a bit .
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

11. Member
    Love my dobyns but wouldn’t recommend a 4 power Kaden for a jig especially not 3/4-1oz. Sweet 1/2oz spinnerbait rod though. A champion xp744 can be had for a little over 200 from tackle trap with the bbc code. This is what you want if you go dobyns and stay close to $200.

When you say "jig rod" are you making long casts with a football jig and dragging/crawling it back? Or are you flipping/pitching a jig into weed pockets/docks/lay downs? That would make a big difference to me for the length and action. I love my Megabass Levante Perfect Pitch ($199) to pitch jigs to docks and laydowns, it's 7'2" Extra Fast 3/8-1 1/4 oz. If it's casting you're doing, I heard so many guys rave about the Megabass Orochi XX Braillist ($299) as the perfect jig rod for casting. They do offer the same rod in the Levante series again for $199. The Braillist is 7'5" Fast 3/8-1 oz. The other rod I have that is great for pitching jigs is my Shimano Crucial Worm/Jig 7'2" MH Fast (black eva) that is no longer made but the Zodias in the same specs is probably even better. Let us know what you go with and how you like it.

Call Brian at the Tackle Trap and he will set you up with what you need ,,,several options in the 200 range especially with a BBC ten percent discount they give ,,, I bet he will recommend a Daiwa Kaga

Ark Invoker Pro or the Tharp series they are in your price range

I love the 7’1” heavy invoker and it is your lure range

I am a Loomis NRX guy and I can tell you these rods are amazing for the price
    I refer to them as Pro actions on their ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    Ark Invoker Pro or the Tharp series they are in your price range

I love the 7’1” heavy invoker and it is your lure range

I am a Loomis NRX guy and I can tell you these rods are amazing for the price
    I refer to them as Pro actions on their ratings
    I throw the ARK Tharp Money Maker with bigger jigs, actually purchased a second one. Lot of rod for the money. Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by tcbass View Post
    When you say "jig rod" are you making long casts with a football jig and dragging/crawling it back? Or are you flipping/pitching a jig into weed pockets/docks/lay downs? That would make a big difference to me for the length and action. I love my Megabass Levante Perfect Pitch ($199) to pitch jigs to docks and laydowns, it's 7'2" Extra Fast 3/8-1 1/4 oz. If it's casting you're doing, I heard so many guys rave about the Megabass Orochi XX Braillist ($299) as the perfect jig rod for casting. They do offer the same rod in the Levante series again for $199. The Braillist is 7'5" Fast 3/8-1 oz. The other rod I have that is great for pitching jigs is my Shimano Crucial Worm/Jig 7'2" MH Fast (black eva) that is no longer made but the Zodias in the same specs is probably even better. Let us know what you go with and how you like it.
    Mostly a pitching rod, I have some other rods for work at depth with Jigs/Trig etc.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll check some things out and will for sure let you know what I go with...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    St Croix. I never held a dobyns that I liked. I was a big Kistler fan especially liked their casting rods but they keep increasing the prices without increasing quality of components or quality of work. The same about 5yrs ago costs roughly $75 more. Add in that they aren’t using NFC rod blanks anymore and You can get a better rod cheaper from another manufacturer
    I am a kistler fan as well. Prices on the helium’s went up $50 from last years models and I don’t see any difference other than the keeper. I love the rods but they have gotten more and more pricey. I’ve been looking into the falcon lines more lately. Bought one used falcon that I’m really liking so will probably buy a few more and see how I like them

Quote Originally Posted by Juggz29 View Post
    I am a kistler fan as well. Prices on the helium’s went up $50 from last years models and I don’t see any difference other than the keeper. I love the rods but they have gotten more and more pricey. I’ve been looking into the falcon lines more lately. Bought one used falcon that I’m really liking so will probably buy a few more and see how I like them
    This is really where it all started, I was using Kistlers but they have gotten out of hand on the pricing. I even reached out to them and their response was "well, you're right, they're not for everyone." It was at that point Trey and the crew lost me as a customer...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kstephes033 View Post
    The new Victory line is awesome so far for me, although I have not tried the 7'3" HXF. Knowing how Croix is with their XF and the ratings of that rod I personally wouldn't use that for a 1/2oz jig. I have the 7'4" H Victory and to me it is right at home with the 1/2oz jig on it.
    Let the entire line come out at iCast. There will be one in the bunch that will fit this really well, if one of the first 8 didn't. It all depends on the length you are going for. Most of the guys I know that tested Victory and are currently using them are picking up the 73MHF for this application or another similar.

To the OP, great post. A lot of really good rods on the market from a lot of good brands. It's a great time to be an angler.

Personally I'd go with an

IKOS Promise 73 - $159.99
    OXIM Factor (7'2") - $199.99

but then again I'm partial to the rods we build here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast