Is sharing waypoints between HDS Live units automatic ?

Not sure I'm getting how to share waypoints on these. I have an HDS 12 on the bow and an HDS 9 on the console, Ethernet and NMEA networked. Ideally I'd like to take the HDS 12 in the house (I have a power supply) and preplan potential spots to navigate too for my tournaments on the HDS 12 and get them back to the HDS 9 when I plug it back into the boat. Does anyone else do this ? Is there anything I need to do to get these to the HDS 9 ? Tried using the Lowrance app originally but cant get that to autoroute between points. Thanks!

2. Member
    Yes, you can do what you want and I have been doing this for many years. After inputting your waypoints into one unit from your power supply, as soon as you put it back in your boat and connect the ethernet cable, and turn on all other units, the ethernet network synchronizes all your waypoints instantly (transfers them to the other connected units). All your connected units will then have the same library of waypoints.
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Yes, you can do what you want and I have been doing this for many years. After inputting your waypoints into one unit from your power supply, as soon as you put it back in your boat and connect the ethernet cable, and turn on all other units, the ethernet network synchronizes all your waypoints instantly (transfers them to the other connected units). All your connected units will then have the same library of waypoints.
    Thanks ! I was hoping it would work like that.

4. Member
    My question has to do with waypoint storage location: First, I know each unit has "access" to the total amount of waypoints by sharing them. But where are the waypoints recorded/stored? ...

Example: So if I have unit #1 with 100 waypoints stored on it, and I hook it up to unit #2 that has 500 waypoints stored on it, both units will have "access" to 600 (100+500) waypoints. BUT... do both units now have 600 waypoints recorded/stored on them?

If I disconnecte unit #2 - would unit #1 now have all 600 waypoints recorded/stored in its memory, or just the 100 waypoints it originally had on it? In otherwords, if both units were never to be used together ever again, would each now have 600 waypoints stored on each of them?

Thanks ahead of time for your answers.
    Last edited by CNB; 10-28-2023 at 06:05 PM. Reason: mispelled word

5. Member
    Both units will have a complete copy of the total WP on both units.

6. Member
    Waypoint sync is just what it sounds like. All waypoints sync to each unit’s memory every time they are powered on and connected by Ethernet. They are not just accesses on the creating unit, they are recreated to all units. Each unit contains the exact same number of waypoints on the entire system.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

7. Member
    Is it better to share waypoints among multiple HDS units networked by ethernet and NMEA 2000 with the NMEA options turned off and using ethernet only? Thanks.

8. Member
    When ethernet is connected all units use the ethernet for waypoint management regardless of NMEA selections.
    ciao,
    Marc