Do these surface variations tell me anything?

Fishing at a local farm pond in the rain today, I took these pics of variations in the surface. I've always wondered, do they tell me anything? Maybe something like depth differences, or bottom makeup, maybe grass or other type of color? Or is it Mother Nature just messing with my head?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    This is easy to check but that may reveals some submerged grass. I don’t think it’s a depth change, Ive never had rain reveal that to me. The only other option to me is oil from a bait ball but those pics don’t look like bait to me.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I don't think so. Angle and glare on water can cause the appearance of differences in the surface at different distances that may not actually be a difference. Wind blowing across the open middle of a body of water but broken along the edge by brush, trees, tall grass can cause a change of ripple on the surface that does not reflect any difference under the surface. Generally you need current or deep waves to make surface disturbances to reveal a depth change, rock, laydown tree under the surface.

I see this not in the rain as well. To me it a surface water tension difference and that could be cause a few different ways thst are to scientific for me to claim I know. As far as I know it does not affect anything to do with my fishing choices, but if it was real prevalent aver the course of a few days I may start to notice a pattern around it.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Looks like a tiny breeze coming from an angle that blocks some of it out. Maybe not enough to notice, but may still cause little ripples? Just a guess?

Have you ever noticed when bombing down a big lake in the boat, that sometimes you run into cool areas and warm areas? Downdrafts are cool, updrafts are warm. Small areas of weather variations.

Since we know it was raining, I'd bet that there were some areas that were raining more intensely or not even raining at all, but there will still be warm/cool air patches that will show up surface variations.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

My vote is it's a slight breeze causing it.

8. Member
    Very interesting question and thoughts. I’ve wondered about it myself and just figured it was a crazy cross breeze or breeze squeezing around and obstacle(tree/dock/steep shore incline)
    Red Sox in 6!