2008 Ranger 188VX prop questions

Hopefully someone can help out a newbie here. I have bought a new to me 2008 Ranger 188VX. I bought it from a dealer on a cold windy rainy day and against my better judgement I didn’t put it on the water first. When I did, I noticed it is a fat pig on the holeshot and takes forever before it quits plowing and gets on plane. Once it planes it absolutely flies. It is equipped with a Yamaha VMAX 175 HPDI On a hydraulic jack plate and a 3 blade 15-1/8 x 25 pitch prop. This is the first boat I’ve ever owned with an outboard on it and the only one I’ve ever driven with a jack plate. To me it seems like it is way over propped and I have no idea where I should have the jack plate set for takeoff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I would check your prop to pad and see where its at. A compression test on the motor so you will know where its currently at. Also a 4 blade prop will holeshot better but loose a little speed up top. Do you know the max rpm for your motor and also are you getting max rpm at full throttle?
    97 Ranger r82 with 05 honda bf150, Helix 10 mega link with 1198c, Ultrex 80. Fish hard and keep hooking.

3. Member
    Need more info - What is your max rpm's when running down lake - speed. What name prop - (pic). Are you trimming all the way in. Is it slipping on hole shot - what are rpm's
    when it breaks over .

4. Member
    FYI I have the same rig minus the jack plate and mine has a 23 pitch prop...good luck with the new boat!

5. Member
    I have a 2006 188VS with etec 150 HO and here's all I did. I put on a manual jack plate. I set it 2 3/4 below the pad and then using a 22 Raker it comes out in about 4 to 5 seconds and runs up to about 5650 at about 55mph. I also had Mark (Mark's Props) make a prop for me as it is a Ranger and they are a load to get out of the water. Hole shot is about the same maybe a skootch lower but bow lift is much better. Mark made me a 21 pitch but it is a big 21 with some tweaks to the cups. My bow lift was amazing and it runs out a 5900 rpm and 59mph. Pretty much top speed for this boat/motor package as I have a 36 fortrex w/3 31 series trolling batteries. I will say that Mark's prop also handles very well at top speed. I was thinking of going to an Ultrex and backing off to a 24v 80 and using 2 lithuims. So I add 13 ponds to the bow cause Ultrex heavier then I can evacuate about 170 pounds out of the rear in battery weight. I am confidient Marks Prop will handle the extra 13 pounds in the front and I will probably have to re-adjust prop to pad as 170 pounds out of the ass end may make this float higher. I would have to imagine if I did that this, the boat would get over 60. My wallet on the other hand would be under water...

The Prop sounds like it might be a little to big for that motor. I have the same boat and motor (2010 188VX) I am running a 23M on an 8 inch Slidemaster ai am about 3 1/4, she's turning right at 5900 and 57 with a full load, and 61 with half a tank and just me fishing.

Spanky

7. Member
    Yeah you’re over propped. A 23M would be the better prop for your set up.
    2016 Ranger Z520c/ Mercury Pro XS 250 (2B230637)

8. Member
    you are way over propped. see if you have a dealer that will llet you demo a couple of different props, and dont be afraid to try a 22 or 23 pitch 4 blade

9. Member
    I appreciate all of the info. I figured the prop was way too much. On takeoff she points the bow at the sky and pushes through the water for probably 6-8 seconds or longer before planing. I haven’t had her topped out yet as I’ve only had it in the water once and still learning the way she drives. I’ve never used a hydraulic jack plate a day in my life so I have no clue where to set it. It’s a huge learning curve coming from 30+ years owning ski boats that drive themselves. I’m sure I’ll have many more questions as I go along so get ready. The good news is I put fish in the live well on the first outing so everything else can be fixed,right?

10. Member
    I have the same boat but different motor. With the nose high I know you are getting soaked in rough water. Mine has a 150HO and a 22p rakerII. I put a 19p 4 blade and it is worlds different. Jumps out of the hole with a load but I lost a couple mph top end. I am probably around 55-57 mph tops now. I am happy with it. In rough water it now lifts quicker and I don’t get soaked.

11. Member
    Well guys after having it in the shop for 5 weeks without being able to figure out why it wont run it now belongs to the dealer again. Picking up new boat on Saturday. Tight lines everyone!!