GPSMAP 1022 time clock question

I have a GPSMAP 1022. I live very close to the CST/EST time line and my home lake is split buy the time zone. With my Lowrance and H-Bird I can set the time so it will not auto update and it stays on CST. I have read my Garmin owner's manual, spent about 1 hour looking at the unit in live mode and simulator mode and I can't find anything that will let me set it so it will not auto update. On my last trip I needed to be off the water buy a particular time. My boat was around a mile or so away from the EST zone so I "assumed" it was on CST. I ran back to the ramp only to find out I had came in 1 hour early Had I just looked at the time on my Lowrance I would have realized my Garmin was picking up EST instead of CST. I want my clock to stay on CST if possible.

I can't find the setting to turn off auto update. Am I overlooking it or am I stuck with it constantly switching back and forth when I fish my home lake.

Not in front of a GPSMAP unit right now, but the Time Zone setting is under your Units selections. Units, Time, Time Zone, or something similar. Then select Custom.
    Garmin Pro Team

I am not quite there yet but you did point me in the right direction...its actually settings, preferences, units, time and from there there is a few options and this is where it hit a wall. Once I select time my options are Time Format and I have that set the way I want displayed which is 12 hour format. My other option is Time Zone which says Auto. When I select that tab it gives me a tab called Custom Time Zone. Inside that tab it displays a number key pad (0-9) and has a option key of select and clear if my memory is correct. I did not see the option to simply disable auto time zone. This is what I do on my Lowrance, H-bird, cellphone or any other device that I want to disable the auto update feature.

Now I have zero idea if this matters or not but at the time I was doing this I had zero satellite signal because my boat is in a metal garage. If I want GPS signal I have to pull my boat out of the garage. Around 25% of the time it will get signal inside the garage but 75% of the time its not picking up signal. I don't know if that makes a difference but I wanted to throw that information out there.

Thanks for pointing me to the area/screen I need to be on but now I don't know what to do ...more advice would be appreciated

To be safe, yes get your boat out of the garage with a good GPS signal. You said you wanted it to stay in CST. Assuming you are in CST with the boat sitting outside the garage with signal, then simply select Custom with no adjustment to whatever numbers are shown. Once in Custom, then a toggle for Daylight Savings Time appears under the Units menu. So be sure that is set to On (Daylight Savings adjustment is automatic when running in Auto Time Zone). After all these Custom adjustments, just be sure your Time display is correct. If not, then go back to the Custom setting and manually adjust the displayed offset up or down by the appropriate hours.
    Garmin Pro Team

Thank you for the guidance..it will be a few days before I get the boat out of the garage but I will try what you said and report back

I "think" I got it set to do what I want. When I went through all the steps we previously spoke about the time was 1 hour ahead of what it should have been. I turned daylight savings time off and the time instantly started reading what I wanted it to read. The ramp I unloaded at is in a CST zone but it is 1/4 mile or so away from the time zone change. Once I left the ramp I went more into the CST zone and it stayed in the CST zone. To truly test and see if its going to stay on CST I need to head down the lake and see what happens. I "think" I am good for now but still need to verify what happens once I get fully into a EST zone....thanks for the help