Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Update.. Compact tractor or zero turn for 5 acres?

Just closed on a 5 acre lot and will either have to upgrade my current zero turn to a bigger/faster model or possibly invest in a compact tractor with a finish mower.

Lot is approximately 1 acre semi-wooded and 4 acres cleared. I can think of several uses for the tractor but my biggest concern is would I regret using it to mow the majority of the yard? I would keep my current mower for cutting around the house.

Yard will be seeded in Bermuda grass and is fairly flat ground. Will a 60-72” finish mower give a clean cut?

Models I’ve started looking at are the Kubota B2601 and the John Deere 2025r. Want to stay under the hp rating that doesn’t require emission controls. Front end loader and mower would be the first attachments.

Update!!
    Ended up finding a slightly used ‘19 John Deere 3025E with 66hrs. Dealer installed a QH and landscape rake. Pallet forks and box blade coming. Undecided on using a finish mower for now. Hoping to start construction on house in next few months so have plenty of time to decide. Plenty of dirt and tree work to be done for now.

Last edited by PATRO; 10-25-2021 at 07:33 PM.
    2019 Blackjack 256
    Mercury Verado 350

2. Member
    No front end loader available for a ZTR that I know of. If you have a use for a light tractor that's the way to go. I mowed acres and acres with a big ZTR when we lived on the farm years ago. The Bobcat brand was my fav, we had several up there. The finish mower did fine, the ZTR was quicker.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PATRO View Post
    Just closed on a 5 acre lot and will either have to upgrade my current zero turn to a bigger/faster model or possibly invest in a compact tractor with a finish mower.

Lot is approximately 1 acre semi-wooded and 4 acres cleared. I can think of several uses for the tractor but my biggest concern is would I regret using it to mow the majority of the yard? I would keep my current mower for cutting around the house.

Yard will be seeded in Bermuda grass and is fairly flat ground. Will a 60-72” finish mower give a clean cut?

Models I’ve started looking at are the Kubota B2601 and the John Deere 2025r. Want to stay under the hp rating that doesn’t require emission controls. Front end loader and mower would be the first attachments.
    Dont get tractor! Their additive, bad as a bass boat!

Look at the Kioti and see what you think...

(606)305-1956

I’m not really in the market but I look at it like this. A zero turn mows grass and that’s it. A compact tractor mows and then does everything else a tractor does. With that much land, I’m sure that will be useful.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Both and you will thank me. Make sure you get a hydro tractor with a loader and box scrapper.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

7. Member
    How fast does your yard drain/dry after a rain shower (yard ruts)? How much would you use a tractor other than a mower? I like the zero turn for mowing. Having a tractor around with a front end loader and pallet forks is a handy tool to have.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I’m not really in the market but I look at it like this. A zero turn mows grass and that’s it. A compact tractor mows and then does everything else a tractor does. With that much land, I’m sure that will be useful.
    IMO it comes down to whether or not you want the entire 4 AC looking like a golf course. If so, then I might give the nod to the ZTR because I think they tend to do a better job but it would still be close if you had ANY possibility of wanting to plow, till, move dirt etc. Personally, I prefer to keep the acre around the house nice and let the remainder get shaggy. I mow it on the highest setting every 3 weeks or so. This leaves more grazing for deer and the turkeys like to chase bugs in the grass all summer. I'd rather watch wildlife than look at manicured lawn

I don't think you'll be happy mowing 5 acres with a tractor/belly mower. I had a neighbor who bought a 30hp JD with loader and belly and he regretted trying to keep up with the mowing. ZTRs are made to mow well and fast. If you keep 1 acre of "lawn" around the house and the rest as "pasture" then sure. If you don't want to buy both, I'd recommend getting a tractor if needed for work and mowing a smaller area around the house with a cheap Lowes mower.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

10. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    you're gonna keep the ZT anyway so shouldn't the question simply be "should I buy a tractor?"
    5 acres aint too huge, the ZT you have is probably fine unless it's just a little 36 incher. weekly around the house and a couple times a month for the rest. Especially if the 4 cleared acres are flat seeded Bermuda it should mow pretty quick..

Now if you want a tractor just to have one getcha one..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

11. Banned
    I would go with a tractor front loader,box blade and front forks.

I have both if I had to choose between the two tractor every time.
    with loader, box, tiller, way to valuable for me over just mowing.
    removeable loader makes mowing better for sure. mid mount mowers do well not great.
    mid mounts not the easiest to get off and on(shaft to mid pto) but its doable.
    I had a Kubota bx now a b series. b is more user friendly in the garden or rougher
    land than the bx. both very capable. the newer b series have a 3 speed hydro trans much better
    than the 2 like mine.
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

13. Member
    Have had both, Gravely ZT, JD all wheel steer garden tractor and now a JD 1025R compact tractor, all 60-62 inch decks. The tractor feels a bit like overkill for mowing our acreage, but does a good job of it. Not quite as nice as a dedicated mower, but close enough for us and the deer. Love having the versatility of the tractor, though. We now have the box blade, brush hog, weight box, belly mower, bucket and a tooth bar for the bucket. Saves me so much time and energy!

The JD belly mower is drive over and connects itself up to the drive shaft and hangers. I do that fairly frequently and it's a slick system.
    John

14. Member

I have both and have used both for mowing. Grasshopper commercial grade mower and JD1025 w/belly mower and multiple 3pt attachments. Wide cutting belly mowers on tractors suck bad if your yard is uneven. They will scalp parts and not cut other parts low enough. A 3pt finishing mower is ok, but not great either. The tractor otherwise has been a live saver for a lot of reasons. I could not operate without both....

If you can swing it, I'd get one of each. If the ground is relatively flat, you just can't beat cutting with a zero turn. Fast and smooth. You'll probably also use that mower 5 times more than the tractor and it should be easier and cheaper to maintain. JMHO. I'd love to have a small tractor with a bucket and blade but I'd never trade my zero turn for one.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

If it was me, I'd keep your mower and buy a tractor. It's amazing what you can get done with a compact tractor with a front end loader. If you want a garden, you can till it or turn the ground over in minutes instead of hours. Wanna plant a bunch of trees or an orchard? Get or rent a post hole digger and get 'er done! Having an acreage without a tractor just sucks. I currently am "tractorless" and I hate it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    If it was me, I'd keep your mower and buy a tractor. It's amazing what you can get done with a compact tractor with a front end loader. If you want a garden, you can till it or turn the ground over in minutes instead of hours. Wanna plant a bunch of trees or an orchard? Get or rent a post hole digger and get 'er done! Having an acreage without a tractor just sucks. I currently am "tractorless" and I hate it.
    THIS

Since you have a mower for the 1 acre around the house pick up the tractor for other things!
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

19. Member
    Done it both ways on two different parcels - one 5 acres and my current one is 6.

First one I did the B2601 with a belly mower. Second one I did another compact tractor, but got a 60 inch zero turn. Much, much better decision.

One thing to consider - the tractor is much heavier, and you’ll have to wait a lot longer to mow after a rain. It will rut up your yard. Also, if you’re moving dirt, the belly mower is a pain and in the way. The JD does have a drive over mower deck, so that makes it a bit easier. But I’d still do the zero turn.

On the tractor - make sure you do hydrostatic and not a shifter. It’s much easier to do front end loader work with the hydrostatic transmission. If you’re mowing primarily or using a bush hog, then the shifter is better.

Appreciate all the replies. Lot of good information.

My current mower is a Hustler fastrak SD 54” which has an ~8mph top speed. I’m looking 10-12k to upgrade to a larger mower or around 20k for a tractor with attachments. From the comments here and few folks I’ve talked to it seems like once you own a tractor you can’t live without it.
    2019 Blackjack 256
    Mercury Verado 350

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast