Installing Perko 8501DP Battery Switch?

I've got a Model# 1175P73EY 175DFILPROXS Serial # 2BO18990.

Not sure if this is the correct thread to help me with this issue. I had to remove the batteries, battery tray to replace the starboard side live well valve, actuator cable, and control lever of my 2000 283 Vindicator Bass boat. In doing so I decided to install a Perko 8501DP battery switch. I will need a little help with connecting the wiring, the + cable and the Neg cable, from the Mercury outboard to the Perko 8501DP. With the battery switch in the off position the Mercury motor should not crank /start or even the trim will should not function. These functions should only operate with the battery switch at the #1 position. With the battery switch in the OFF position nothing with the Mercury motor should operate, No Crank/Start or the operation of the trim up or down. At present I have attached a battery lead from the Pos. post of the starting battery to the #1 terminal position of the Perko battery switch. I have connected the positive(+) cable of to Mercury outboard to the common post denoted on the Perko battery switch. I then connected the negative (- ) cable of the Mercury outboard to the negative post of the starting battery. When moving the Perko battery switch activation knob to the #1 position the Mercury outboard operates cranking and starting also trim function. But when moving the operation knob of the Perko battery switch to the off position all the Mercury functions, cranking and starting, will not operate, as supposed to. Except the trim barely operates at a slow speed not at all as I think it should. That is my question and issue.

My email is speadtrap@bellsouth.net
    My Cell Phone (336) 339-0344

Please any assistance would be graciously appreciated !!

Dan Doherty
    1722 Brookhaven Mill Rd.
    Greensboro, NC 27406
    Last edited by Speedboat; 04-19-2021 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Make a few corrections in post

2. Member
    Close, next forum up covers 2.5L Optimax (what yours is). JMHO, engine battery cables should go direct to the battery not through a switch, and that Perko is not rated for the cranking amp required for your engine, specs from Perko "Capacity - 250 AMPS Continuous, 360 AMPS 5 Mins. Intermittent".

If you're intent on using a switch, ensure its cranking amp specification meets or exceeds your engine's 1,000 cranking amps requirement.

The only battery switch manufacturer that lists actual cranking amp ratings is Blue Sea. This model, a simple on/off switch, is rated for 1200amps cranking for 30secs, 600amps intermittent, and 350amps continuous.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    I posted an answer to this on your other post....

The battery switch is for switching the positive loads only, you do not hook both positive and negative on the switch terminals or you are looking for big trouble in the form of a direct battery short.

Leave your ground connections in place separately, as they've always been.

Connect your loads to the common terminal. Connect your battery positive to the #1 terminal, this will set it up as a battery shut-off switch. Btw, you only needed an on-switch for what you've described not this battery selector switch

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Weare View Post
    I posted an answer to this on your other post....

The battery switch is for switching the positive loads only, you do not hook both positive and negative on the switch terminals or you are looking for big trouble in the form of a direct battery short.

Leave your ground connections in place separately, as they've always been.

Connect your loads to the common terminal. Connect your battery positive to the #1 terminal, this will set it up as a battery shut-off switch. Btw, you only needed an on-switch for what you've described not this battery selector switch

+1

I'm moving this thread to the 2.5L Forum.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor