1999 295 no tack or speedo

Hi guys,
    I just picked up a 99 Stratos Pro Elite 295 with a 2004 Evinrude 200 DI that sat for 7 years, went over the engine and all is good. But when I turn key, the speedo and tach don't budge neither does the psi gauge. How can I check to see if they are getting power, signal, or just broke. thanks
    Last edited by Sqrlnut; 04-20-2021 at 07:53 AM.

2. Member
    Did you try starting the engine and then checking for operation. If still no go check under the console and make sure all connectors are tight and clean.

Speedo works from pressure/vacuum from petit tube, only power to it is for lights.
    H20 pressure works on water pressure from motor when running.
    No reason for either to budge when key is turned to run position.

My tach remains at rpms running when key shut off. Drops to 0 when key is turned to run position and remains there until motor is again fired up.

Seems like you'll know more once you fire it up, since you don't seem to have done that prior to picking it up.

4. Member
    sorry for the confusion, I have run the engine the Tach dont budge when the key is turned or the the engine is running. Good to know about the speedo only having power for the light, the connections are not the cleanest. i checked the bulb which is good but it does NOT light when in the speedo or the PSI gauge, or the Tach... and im not sure it there is a fuse that goes to the gauges.

Okay, I understand now .

Tach:
    Along with cleaning connections connections, there is a rotary switch on the back and marked with a number of "P" positions. BEFORE moving the switch, confirm the pole position that it's set at now. There are a number of positions and only 1 will function correctly with your motor. Try taking a pic with your phone is probably easiest n fastest. Once you're certain (I'm going to guess position "6P" but that's a guess) of the position, rotate the switch back and forth a number of times thru it's range. Sometimes these internal contacts get a little corroded and this may clean them up.

Next get with somebody that can connect a test tach to your motor to make sure the problem doesn't originate there. If it works at the motor, connect to the harness at your tach (can use jumpers) and if it works there, then your tach is dead. If it doesn't work there, the problem is in the harness.

WP gauge:
    1) If the gauge reads 0, I'd be looking for the feed tube to be cracked/split/broken at the connection on back of gauge or on the motor. It's possible for it to be damaged someplace in between but normally these 2 spots. It's also a simple and cheap matter to get a coil of 1/8" tubing to connect the WP gauge to nipple on the motor (there for wp purposes). If the gauge comes alive when you fire it up, now you just need to run the new tubing.

2) A gauge can get frozen and be fubar. Normally when this happens, it seems the needle is stuck somewhere other than 0. So if your needle is sitting at 2, 3, 5 or even pegged - it's probably freeze-damaged.

Note that most gauges (if not all) have a pin in the gauge that the needle rests on when motor isn't running (0). Some gauges have a maximum reading pin that limits the needle upward travel. I mention this so if yours doesn't, look closely at your gauge if it appears to be at 0. It may be pegged on the backside of the pin (maxxed out) if you don't have a 2nd limiting pin.

Speedo:
    Personally, I can care less about it - mine's covered by a graph....which also displayes the GPS speed in either case. But, if you must - check tubing connection on back of gauge and petit tube. Also check petit tube for damage like cracks, broken end or that it's not in the kicked up position.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-21-2021 at 10:34 PM.

6. Member
    i really appreciate the help and input, so thank you. i did replace the PSI tube and nipple (had to guess where it went bc it was never hooked up) (i just ran it to the adapter plate starboard side where there was a threaded hole)
    i also the replaced the speedo nipple (which was cracked). both gauges (PSI and Speedo) needles move when i blow in the hose ( so no cracks there)
    i could care less about speedo (and tach for that matter) my concern is either a power issue, draw or the engine isnt doing what it should be. i havent had the boat wet yet and have a 4 day trip in MAY so im nervous LOL.
    i feel i need to know if the gauge is bad or if its the power coming to them for my own sound mind. the lights in them not lighting is my fear that there not getting power from the engine?
    FYI, I wish i could afford a unit that has GPS :)

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Is your tach an analog tach or a system check tach with the 4 LED's across the bottom? when the key is turned to on do the 4 lights cycle? Your back lights for the gauges should/will turn on when the NAV light switch it turned on. if the water pressure gauge gauge won't move after applying air it is most likely frozen and bad.

8. Member
    20210422_194016.jpgI do have a systems check gauge with 4 leds. The tach is separate and analog i believe. As for the speedo, I cleaned it and the light now works but the speed is on 30 unless I blow in the hose. Also, I didn't see a position switch on the back of it

9. Member
    16191351879647159444749365779237.jpg
    Tach is on the right speedo left

Not familiar with the Faria gauges but I'm suspecting it may be the round "plug" partially obscured by the double black wires (daisy-chain ground wire), blue wire (hot) and the retaining bracket. I say this due to the visible embossed marks perpendicular to the hidden edge of the "plug". Those marks are for something and probably more completely hidden under that bracket. I could be mistaken and hopefully someone else familiar with a Faria tach can confirm/deny.

What say you, Cm? I don't want to steer the man in the wrong direction....

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No setting for the speedo as stated works off air pressure from the boat moving thru the water. Tach on the other hand is a electrical connection and monitors the stator pulses

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No setting for the speedo as stated works off air pressure from the boat moving thru the water. Tach on the other hand is a electrical connection and monitors the stator pulses the small black circle on the edge of the tach appears to be the pole select switch, not sure on the Faria tachs but the OEM tach requires a pole setting of 6..