Echomap 93sv UHD recordings

Oh boy, where to start? I really like the Helm recording option, but I do understand that higher priced units should have better features, so I guess I'm ok that the echomap units cannot record via Helm. That would be awesome, but I understand the business case.

However, to basically offer NOTHING of any value to echomap units is pathetic. I've messed around with homeport, which is not longer officially supported(?), and its terrible. I don't think it runs in windows 10, if it does, it won't show Sidevu recordings, only 2d and Clearvu. The files are also in .rsd(?) format, not .xts(?) as is industry standard for which there are third party software options.

This is not a deal-breaker, but man, almost. Why offer a record button and a memory card (other than for maps) if there's not good way to playback, share, watch, study, etc? Good lord this is 2021, not 2005.

Someone's gonna say "pony up for a GPSMap unit", but there's quite a big price difference.

My helix units recorded to memory card and HB had some decent software to view the recordings. Clunky, but worked.

How does a company offer a record feature then no software support for it?

2. Banned
    Apparently you really don't understand. If you want the "bells and whistles" you pay the price.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    Apparently you really don't understand. If you want the "bells and whistles" you pay the price.
    Nah, like I said, I get the full luxury treatment for the gpsmap. But why does my echomap have a record button with no good option to view it?

4. Member
    Lazy response. Too easy.

Functionality is not a "bell and whistle". If they add a record button it should be usable...how much more can it cost to record in the proper format? I haven't even tried recording yet, but this is not good to hear.

How about a format exchanger? Does any freeware or inexpensive solution exist to go .rsd > .xts?

5. Member
    I have looked for a converter, and cannot find one.

Today at the lake I even tried to replay an recording on the head unit. NOT AN OPTION. You can edit or delete the recording.

Amazing.

6. Member
    Also, if u have multiple units, you need a memory card in any unit you want to record. You do only need 1 activecaptain card for networked units however.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtatua View Post
    Also, if u have multiple units, you need a memory card in any unit you want to record. You do only need 1 activecaptain card for networked units however.
    There's software which allowed open .rsd data - called SonarTRX, it's sonarlog viewer/SV overlay in Google Earth only. Homeport is dead already, no sense to install it. Another sonar brands- Lowrance, Humminbird can open recorded sonarlogs in MFD. Personally, I would like to see something similar in Garmin units, but isn't possible, even in GPSmap series.
    Last edited by MaciejK; 04-21-2021 at 12:51 AM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaciejK View Post
    There's software which allowed open .rsd data - called SonarTRX, it's sonarlog viewer/SV overlay in Google Earth only. Homeport is dead already, no sense to install it. Another sonar brands- Lowrance, Humminbird can open recorded sonarlogs in MFD. Personally, I would like to see something similar in Garmin units, but isn't possible, even in GPSmap series.
    I forgot about SonarTRX. It is $275 to purchase, but their website declares it will work.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtatua View Post
    I forgot about SonarTRX. It is $275 to purchase, but their website declares it will work.
    Each add software have price- no different for Lowrance, Humminbird mapping. Yes, TRX is working with newest Garmin transducers since 21.1 update. Have, using- but can't add waypoints there.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaciejK View Post
    Each add software have price- no different for Lowrance, Humminbird mapping. Yes, TRX is working with newest Garmin transducers since 21.1 update. Have, using- but can't add waypoints there.
    I used HumViewer for my HB, I believe it was free (and 3rd party I think?). I'm thinking its not out of the question that since any manufacturer puts a RECORD button on the unit, that at minimum the unit should play the recording and they should offer a software suite to view on PC. At worst the manufacturer should offer software for a reasonable fee.

11. Member
    Yes, Humviewer is for free, Sonar Viewer(Navico) is for free, but quality of this software isn't good. Yes, You're right- any recorded data should be open in MFD, but Garmin, Raymarine havn't this option at this point.

12. Member
    I'm more pissed the Echomaps aren't being updated than anything not ever offered, and now won't be. That's a huge issue for me.

13. Member
    one of the reasons i never moved to 100% Garmin.

14. Member
    [QUOTE=DLinzy;11872157]I'm more pissed the Echomaps aren't being updated than anything not ever offered, and now won't be. That's a huge issue for me.[/QUOTE

I just recently updated my Echomap 126 and 106 to the latest software. I do have a 93sv Plus unit that I use for mapping at the console that is no longer supported.
    That’s really no different than when I ran Lowrance units and they stopped writing updates for my Gen2 touch units.
    I think all manufacturers eventually stop updating their discontinued units.