Thread: Fishing report

Fishing report

This is a report from the last few times I’ve been out. I’ve really struggled to get bites. This last weekend I fished too lakes and only caught 1 8” bass. :-( I don’t know what I’m doing wrong I’ve thrown everything I can think of lol. I did notice the water was super clear... With that being said I’ve finally been bit with the Covid deal my wife tested positive today (has flu like symptoms but feeling ok for the most part) so that has kicked me out of work until Monday. So I’ll fish a ton on my boat I guess. I’ll still be home a lot to help with the kidos to. Wish she would have got sick when the weather was warm though Lol.

so what do you guys recommend when the water is really clear? What do you think the bass a relating to with this weather and time of year?

Sorry to hear about the COVID thing. Hope your wife recovers quickly.

The bass ought to be really close to spawning there. I’ve found that right before they go on beds, it can be tough to get a bite. Most bass are more interested in making a bed than they are in actually eating. In this instance, you have two options.

1) Continue pounding the bank where most of the fish are and try to make a few bite. If you do this, you need some factors in your favor. You will want to fish the windier areas. I like to target these with a swimbait. The 6” magdraft is a good choice for this. That swimbait appeals to both feeding bass and the ones that want to protect a nest.

2) Target fish that haven’t moved to the bank yet. These bass should be grouped up (or mostly grouped) and feeding. They may not necessarily be deep. They are likely on the last depth change or isolated cover before moving into spawning areas.

If none of this works, then you could always drag around finesse stuff at the speed of smell. But to be honest, I’m not interested in fishing if that is the case.

3. Member
    Great advice Steve thank you. So I was out this morning starting on the water 6:30am got a few first thing throwing a 3.8 swim bait by the dam just small ones. Then got to a good brush pile and got a couple 3lb’ers with a jig. Then found a good one on a week edge with a chatter bait. Ones the north wind kicked in at 9:30 the bite just quit Lol. Great morning still, I got home about 12. 8C294B70-B80C-4B5F-8433-1D19E89EC84F.jpeg
    FFE43CEF-6EA1-4BED-8C0D-6EDAAFE94DAF.jpeg

4. Member
    You're not alone. I went out this past Saturday and Sunday and only got one bite. The place I went on Saturday had very clear water (12-15 ft visibility when it's normally 2-3 feet) and I couldn't buy a bite no matter where I fished or what I was using. I didn't see anyone else catch anything either so I think the fish just had lockjaw that day. Sunday was a different lake but it is so low I couldn't even bring my boat, so I just fished from shore. Had one really big bass (5-6 pounder) get off right at the shore using a football jig, but that was it. I think the crazy up and down weather is really affecting the bite...at least I hope that's the issue. I hope to get out this weekend and hopefully the bite is better.

Jerk. Bait. Any hard structure on the outside edge of a spawning flat.