Z20 Is this normal?

I recently purchased a 2005 Z20. I ran the boat once since purchase. When slowing down and coming off plane I get a huge backwash over the transom. I trimmed the motor all the way in (bow down) before decelerating. I slowed down at a consistent and comfortable rate. I am convinced if I came off plane any quicker I would have swamped the motor. I've had other boats but never a bass boat. Attached is a picture. The boat was repowered with a 4 stroke which I believe is heavier than the original 2 stroke. The boat has 4 batteries (75 lbs. each). Is this amount of backwash normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Yep,most older Rangers do that. You have to ease it down and give it a little throttle just as the wave catches up to the boat.

my old 374 would do that if i just shut her down too fast. i had to get the hang of giving it a little throttle right before the wave got to the back of the boat and that solved the issue.
    Ranger Forever

4. Member
    trim down, let off throttle, them burp throttle it when the wave gets close!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    trim down, let off throttle, them burp throttle it when the wave gets close!
    This is a piece of bass boat driving knowledge that is slowly being forgotten haha. Don't need it with most new rigs.

6. Member
    I still do it. Old habit and its cool!!!

7. Member
    Thanks. Looking forward to catching my first fish on my new boat.

Have an 05 Z20. GREAT boat. Was going to upgrade and just can’t. Upgraded graphs and trolling motor instead. You will love it!

Yep, set her down easy, and bump the gas a little to outrun the backwash. I too have 4- 75lb batteries, and a 589 lb Yamaha F series. So that much weight back there makes it easier for that wave to come over the back.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

10. Member
    if you have a jack plate make sure you have the lower splash plate installed otherwise the jack plate acts like a scoop and send water up just like that