Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Surgery for an Older Dog

My little beagle Lucy had surgery last week to have a mass taken off her hip and had several bad teeth removed. She's come through with flying colors and is doing better than expected. I was a bit hesitant to put her through surgery - she is a 12 year old diabetic and mostly blind but she still gets around really well. The mass was likely benign but in a bad spot and if it kept growing it was going to start causing some issues. I thought about her quality of life and she is still standing at the bedroom door every morning when I get up with her tail wagging ready to be fed and taken outside. Every chance she gets she's snuggled up next to a family member. She still gets excited and happy over the things that make beagles excited and happy. Even if I just bought her a little extra time it was worth it.

IMG_20210415_090915371.jpg
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

2. Banned
    You might look into 'magna wave™' PEMF• they've used it for years in the equine business and now for canines. There is a laundry list of ailments that it is for..

www.magnawavepemf.com

3. Fishing is a Passion
    If I could extend my Lucy's life and make it better, no question I would take the chance.

So glad your Lucy is doing well.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

They say man's best friend for a reason. They are worth it. Enjoy her as long as you can. It's amazing how well they do with blindness. We have #8 and #9 right now, a one year German Shepard and a 2 year Mini Bernadoodle. Every time we loose one, I don't think I can do it again, but after a while we have to have another one. I wish her well and many more years.

Very much worth it. They are part of the family and I'd do anything for mine. You made the right decision.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

6. Member
    one of our 11 yo labs is getting a cancerous tumor removed Monday, her prognosis is good. her sister has lymphoma and nothing can be done for her for less then 20k so time is not on her side. have spent tons on these two free dogs (4 knee replacements)and would do it again without hesitation!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    Glad she is doing well. She's worth it!

8. Member

She's definitely worth it, glad that she's doing well.

10. Member
    I'm glad it went well,I like dog stories with happy endings.

11. Member

12. Member
    Dogs, especially beagles IMHO, are special. Over the years we've paid for many surgeries and medicines. A lot of money-a lot. Every dime was well spent.

Wishing all the best for Lucy and for you as well.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

Wishing Lucy well they are special for sure.

I'm glad to hear she is doing good, hoping for many more years, i think i would have done the same, several years ago I had a golden that liked 2 months making it to 17, and i was pretty much in the same predicament as you but the vet felt at her age in would not be in her best interest (remove one front leg) for maybe 6 more months, and it still sucks and hurts to this day

enjoy the time with Miss Lucy
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

15. Member
    Worth it. Part of the family

16. Member
    They’re worth it.

Glad to hear it went well. I'd do just about anything to buy more time for my dogs..as long as they keep quality of life the vet will keep cashing checks

worth it

19. Member
    I’m sure you treasure every moment with Lucy. I lost my golden doodle last month after hip problems. He was 14 yrs & 2 months. 😢. I rescued him at 9 months old from my yuppie daughter who couldn’t take care of a pet rock. Lucy’s are what make us get up everyday. Do what she needs to keep her comfortable.

20. Member
    Way to go. I hope you get a few more good years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast