Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

New 2021 z18 tandem trailer noisy

I got the wheel balance thing taken care of.. NOTE: remove the beads from inside the rires and have them balanced..
    Ok why is my trailer so dang squeky and clicky, especially turning and going off camber like backing up driveway.

2. Member
    It's all the ungreased metal parts in the suspension that are squeaking. Install the dexter kit and your trailer will be silent.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

3. Member
    I am looking at adding the dexter kit to my new Z18 trailer, it is the Tandem. I'm not really familiar with the Dexter kit, is this Equalizer and bolt kit all you need?

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-K71-65.../dp/B01I3LIC0W

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilk816 View Post
    I am looking at adding the dexter kit to my new Z18 trailer, it is the Tandem. I'm not really familiar with the Dexter kit, is this Equalizer and bolt kit all you need?

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-K71-65.../dp/B01I3LIC0W
    If you are going to go through the trouble, then get the kit which covers the front and rear-eye hangers with wet bolts as well. The kit you are contemplating is only going to reduce some of the noise. The dry plastic bushings that are currently in your eye hangers are the biggest culprits of the squeaks.

To the OP, the only effective way to stop the noise is by following COMRAD's suggestion. In the meantime, you can try and spray your eye hangers periodically with white lithium grease or regularly spray them with silicone. Neither is going to help long term, but it will quiet them down a bit.

Yep for the price its cheap and easy. Should eliminate 90% of the pops and squeaks u get now.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    I had the kit in my save for later cart on Amazon. Yesterday the price went from $223 to $273. Should have bought when I had the chance. I haven't looked at Etrailer but they may be cheaper.

Parts seem to be a little hard to come by. I finally found a manually adjustable seat post for the bike seat and a longer fixed length one for the rear seat. I gave up trying to find an adjustable for the rear that was reasonably priced. I also wanted a hole shot cover plate for my Z Lock jack plate. I didn't have difficulty finding one but the choices were very limited. Many sites showed them to be out of stock.

For Wilk816 the complete Dexter kit number is K71-652-00. On edit, I just checked Etrailer. I think when I looked last week the kit was $216, now it is $266. Looks like a $50 price increase happened.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

7. Member
    Check here for some decent prices. This is where I purchased both of the kits I bought.

https://www.easternmarine.com/dexter...nsion-hardware

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    I had the kit in my save for later cart on Amazon. Yesterday the price went from $223 to $273. Should have bought when I had the chance. I haven't looked at Etrailer but they may be cheaper.

Parts seem to be a little hard to come by. I finally found a manually adjustable seat post for the bike seat and a longer fixed length one for the rear seat. I gave up trying to find an adjustable for the rear that was reasonably priced. I also wanted a hole shot cover plate for my Z Lock jack plate. I didn't have difficulty finding one but the choices were very limited. Many sites showed them to be out of stock.

For Wilk816 the complete Dexter kit number is K71-652-00. On edit, I just checked Etrailer. I think when I looked last week the kit was $216, now it is $266. Looks like a $50 price increase happened.
    Thank you for the part number

looks like eastmarine has them for about $218 about $240 shipped

9. Member
    Ordered! Thank you for the part number and link to East Marine!
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Dilling View Post
    Ordered! Thank you for the part number and link to East Marine!
    Anytime....glad to be able to help out!

Buy it soon cause costs will be going up, i'm sure.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    Is there a reason guys are not using this suspension kit vs the 652 kit that everyone installs.

https://www.easternmarine.com/hd-tan...kit-k71-448-00

My mechanic refused to install the 652 I bought and I agree. The 652 equalizer in the kit is much smaller than stock. The link attached of the 448 looks to be a perfect factory match.
    Nitro z21

13. Member
    I had zero issues with the 652 kit on either my 929 trailer or my Z9 trailer. The only difference I see between the description is that the 488 kit is "heavy duty" whereas the 652 kit is the EZ-Flex. I am sure Dexter has a reason for the size difference in the equalizer.
    I'd be interested to know the dimensions of the factory equalizer......I never measured mine before I tossed them in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Is there a reason guys are not using this suspension kit vs the 652 kit that everyone installs.

https://www.easternmarine.com/hd-tan...kit-k71-448-00

My mechanic refused to install the 652 I bought and I agree. The 652 equalizer in the kit is much smaller than stock. The link attached of the 448 looks to be a perfect factory match.
    The kit in the link is the one I put on my z8, I was one of the first to do the wet bolts upgrade/maintenance. Has been perfect for me.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

15. Member
    I use the ezflex wet bolt kit on my 2019 z18 and it is a great product ride is so much better and less noise
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

16. Member
    Got 'er Done! My buddy and I started on the starboard side and it took us over 3 hours. We started with the center equalizer then went to the ends. Biggest problem was getting the front and rear bolts to line up and get the shouldered boat all the way through the far side of the U bracket. So, he had to leave and I went to the port side and working by myself I got the whole thing finished in just over an hour. What I did differently is start with the front then rear bolts. I also used a step drill bit to open up the outside hole about 1/2 way through. The serrations on the Dexter bolts are much higher and longer than the ones on the original bolts, so they are much harder to pound in. It also helps to put a big C-clamp on the U bracket before you disassemble. This keeps the U bracket from spreading. After finishing the front and rear bolts I went to the center and replaced the equalizer. The U-tube video from ETrailer shows starting with the center and makes it look so easy. It was much easier for me to start on the ends. I have a couple longer trips planned later this month and I am looking forward to seeing the difference. Also looking forward to a quieter trailer when I make tight turns.

EZ Flex.jpg
    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 05-08-2021 at 10:42 AM.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

17. Member
    Nice!!!

Thanks for the insight SGT.

18. Member
    Would it be any easier if the boat was off the trailer?
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    Would it be any easier if the boat was off the trailer?
    I've done it with a boat on and with the boat off the trailer. Having the boat off the trailer was easier. The bolts come out with less effort as they aren't under the massive load. If you have to do it with the boat on the trailer, it's best to put the entire trailer (both sides) on jack stands/blocks while the tongue is on the vehicle hitch. Otherwise, the whole trailer goes cattywompus once the bolts get punched through. Then you have hell to pay trying to get the new bolts and leaf springs lined up just right.

20. Member
    FYI. The price of the 652 kit on Amazon just went from $274 to $234. Why, who knows.
    Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast