Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by remaly181 View Post
    I've done it with a boat on and with the boat off the trailer. Having the boat off the trailer was easier. The bolts come out with less effort as they aren't under the massive load. If you have to do it with the boat on the trailer, it's best to put the entire trailer (both sides) on jack stands/blocks while the tongue is on the vehicle hitch. Otherwise, the whole trailer goes cattywompus once the bolts get punched through. Then you have hell to pay trying to get the new bolts and leaf springs lined up just right.
    I did mine with the boat on the trailer and the trailer supported on 4 jack stands. We used two floor jacks to move the axles up and down.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

2. Banned
    so which kit exactly is the best one and quetest for the 2021 tandem z18 trailer? is 'wet bolt kit" a different product?

3. Banned
    what kits did you buy?? would work on my 2021 z18 tandem?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Dilling View Post
    Got 'er Done! My buddy and I started on the starboard side and it took us over 3 hours. We started with the center equalizer then went to the ends. Biggest problem was getting the front and rear bolts to line up and get the shouldered boat all the way through the far side of the U bracket. So, he had to leave and I went to the port side and working by myself I got the whole thing finished in just over an hour. What I did differently is start with the front then rear bolts. I also used a step drill bit to open up the outside hole about 1/2 way through. The serrations on the Dexter bolts are much higher and longer than the ones on the original bolts, so they are much harder to pound in. It also helps to put a big C-clamp on the U bracket before you disassemble. This keeps the U bracket from spreading. After finishing the front and rear bolts I went to the center and replaced the equalizer. The U-tube video from ETrailer shows starting with the center and makes it look so easy. It was much easier for me to start on the ends. I have a couple longer trips planned later this month and I am looking forward to seeing the difference. Also looking forward to a quieter trailer when I make tight turns.

Attachment 451113

4. Member
    I hope someone can confirm the K71-652-00 is the right one. The specs for the kit are for a 33" on center axle spacing. I measured my Z18 and it is 33" so it appears it is the right one.

I've had it in my save for later cart on Amazon for a month and was thinking about it this morning. I had stated earlier that Amazon had dropped the price to $234 but that only lasted one day and it went back to $274.
    Last edited by jtrac; 05-13-2021 at 02:12 PM.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

5. Member
    That’s what I put on my 2019 Z21 trailer.
    Rad Brewer

6. Banned
    just ordered this hope its right. and all i need.$274 Amazon
    Dexter K71-652-00 Complete Tandem Kit

7. Member
    i have a 2011 Z7 with a tandem trailer from new and it as been noisy as hell from day one So after ten years of people saying WTF i got off some coin and got the Dexter kit i installed it by my self in about 3hours Much better now a lot of cash for a little peace but i needed to service the hangers and change out those bolts and bearings
    i have had three sets of tires on my trailer ( on the third ) three sets of break pads one LP80 break actuator changed out all my lights to LEDs but still on the same wheel bearings and i must say they are still like new seals been though a bunch
    i do about 3k miles a year and fish about 2 to 3 times a week 52 weeks a year gota love Georgia and lake Lanier

8. Member
    I installed my kit this weekend. Was not hard. It absolutely makes the trailer much quieter and it rides much more smoothly. There is a couple of tricks I found doing it by myself. Took 5 hours total. I needed two jack stands and two jacks. There was definitely a trick to line up the forward and aft chasis bolts.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS
    2019 nitro z20, mercury pro xs 250 four stroke

9. Member
    Just bought the kit, hoping it makes a big improvement! It’s back down to 230 on Amazon.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Just bought the kit, hoping it makes a big improvement! It’s back down to 230 on Amazon.
    the whole kit or just the center portion. i got the wet bolt kit as well with mine.

11. Member
    $228 today for the whole kit. I think you should be able to get a refund for the difference if the price reduction happens within 10 days or something like that. I always use the chat function as I have a really hard time understanding some of their csr's with my hearing not being very good.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

12. Member
    Received the kit in the mail today via Amazon.

Gonna install ASAP

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angler View Post
    the whole kit or just the center portion. i got the wet bolt kit as well with mine.
    whole kit. Got mine installed yesterday, definitely took a little bit of hammering and cussing to get it all installed, but wasn’t completely awful lol.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    whole kit. Got mine installed yesterday, definitely took a little bit of hammering and cussing to get it all installed, but wasn’t completely awful lol.
    Boat on the trailer or off? Also, I was wondering if it would be okay to use the Dexter Never Fail bushings instead of the wet bolts that come with the kit. I've had the NF's on a couple of my fifth wheels and not had any issues. I put a bunch more miles on our fifth wheel than I ever will with the boat. One less thing to service.
    Last edited by jtrac; 05-24-2021 at 08:29 AM.
    Jim

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    Boat on the trailer or off? Also, I was wondering if it would be okay to use the Dexter Never Fail bushings instead of the wet bolts that come with the kit. I've had the NF's on a couple of my fifth wheels and not had any issues. I put a bunch more miles on our fifth wheel than I ever will with the boat. One less thing to service.
    i did it with the boat on the trailer, but had the whole trailer in the air on jackstands.

16. Member
    I get my kit today. Amazon had dropped the price to as low as $228 but went back to $274 before I ordered. I watched it and it dropped to $234 last Friday so this time I hit the order button. This morning it is back to $274. Head scratcher.

I do have a question for those who have done this. I have an option to take the boat to a local lake with a locked slip which has a daily rental. This would let me bring the trailer home and do it with the boat off which should make it easier, I would hope. Also, I have read about the difficulty of getting the spring hanger and spring holes lined up for the new wet bolts. I'm curious if inserting a bolt hole alignment bar in the hole before completely removing the old bolt would keep the shifting from happening.
    Jim

17. Member
    It might be easier with the boat off, but not that difficult with the boat on. I recommend doing the front and rear bolts and bushings first, then the middle. I did the middle first on one side and it was a booger getting the front and rear bolts aligned. On the second side I did the front and rear first and got it done in about 1/3 the time, with much less cussing. I have made several 300 mile trips since the change and really like the way it all rides and tows. It still makes some noise on tight turns but it is much quieter than it was. Well worth the money spent.
    East Marine still has them for $218 plus shipping. https://www.easternmarine.com/dexter...kit-k71-652-00
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

18. Member
    Got my set installed today. The first side took me about 3 hours. Took my time and tried to get it right. I had a little issue getting the first spring shackle lined up but eventually got it in. I did both outside ends first then the center shackle. The second side took about 4 hours, with frequent breaks and a lot of pounding. I just could not get the back bolt to line up with the hole on the hanger. It was off center and hitting the shoulder of the bolt. I C clamped the heck out of it and put a heavy duty ratchet strap around the axle to try to pull it back. Finally got it lined up where it appears it went in but still have about 1/8 gap between the eye of the spring and the hanger on the inside. I finally decided good enough and I will just watch it. The threads showing on the back of the bolt are the same as the front bolt so the gap may just be due to the hanger being a little wider. All the wet bolts took grease, no problems there.

If I had to do over again I might hire it done. I'm 73 and in pretty good shape for a guy my age but that was a chore. At least I got some good exercise out of it.
    Jim

19. Member
    Got my set installed today. The first side took me about 3 hours. Took my time and tried to get it right. I had a little issue getting the first spring shackle lined up but eventually got it in. I did both outside ends first then the center shackle. The second side took about 4 hours, with frequent breaks and a lot of pounding. I just could not get the back bolt to line up with the hole on the hanger. It was off center and hitting the shoulder of the bolt. I C clamped the heck out of it and put a heavy duty ratchet strap around the axle to try to pull it back. Finally got it lined up where it appears it went in but still have about 1/8 gap between the eye of the spring and the hanger on the inside. I finally decided good enough and I will just watch it. The threads showing on the back of the bolt are the same as the front bolt so the gap may just be due to the hanger being a little wider. All the wet bolts took grease, no problems there.

If I had to do over again I might hire it done. I'm 73 and in pretty good shape for a guy my age but that was a chore. At least I got some good exercise out of it.
    Props for getting it done at 73. I’m half your age and honestly my hands were sore for a couple days from have to bang the bolts in and out.

20. Member

Well done. If I were closer I'd do your next one for you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast