24v or 36v Fortrex

Looking for some advice from people who've actually used both. Please don't tell me to buy lithium batteries... because that's not what i'm asking.
    I've got a 1997 Champion 181, my trolling motor just died in a tourney on Sat. I've got 2 new this fall group 27 interstate batteries, 10 gauge wire (which i will probably upgrade) current trolling motor is an older Motor Guide i believe 80lb 24 v
    I have an opportunity to buy a 80lb Fortrex locally for about $400 - if my current motor guide eats up the battery life by the end of the day would the newer fortrex do the same?

I can also buy a 36v 101lb fortrex for a little less, I'd have to add an extra battery, and replace my charger to a 4 bank or add another 1 bank.

My question is: Will i get more longevity out of a 101 with 3 batteries? I obviously will get more power which would be nice of course. I'm just trying to weigh the cost benefit analysis. I'm not going out and buying a new trolling motor. So please don't suggest that either. Just trying mostly to figure out how much/if any run-time I will gain?

2. Member
    Assuming same conditions, you should get more run time with a 101 and three group 27’s than with an 80 and two group 27’s.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    I had a Minn Kota Edge( I think is what it was) when I bought my boat had to replace the armature in it so it went from 70lbs to 80lbs when I replaced it. A year later figured out I loved fishing the river in the current instead of the lake so I upgraded to a 101lb Fortrex an a 36v system. With this setup now I can fish all day in the wind or current an can’t ever tell the batteries are getting weak. With the upgrade it will pull my boat 3.5 mph on 100 percent power which is nice if I’m in a big pocket an want to shoot to the other side. My next boat will definitely have a 36v system the extra power is nice when I need it an I have yet to notice the batteries getting weak while fishing. I think you’d be happy with a 36v system I certainly am.

4. Member
    Just a battery size change will get you more run time. The more reserve capacity that your batteries have the more run time you will get. Also a 36 volt trolling will have less draw than a 24 volt. Therefore you will get a lot more run time. The next time you get batteries I recommend you take a look at group 31s if you have room in your boat for that size.

You might add a single bank charger for the extra battery, I just put in a 10 amp single bank for my electronics. It’s doing a good job.

5. Member
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone, i ended going with the 24v. All in all, i was looking to keep the cost down. I will eventually be upgrading me batteries as they die, or as I need more power.