Banned

Hankook Kinergy ST 215 75R14 Tires

What are some thoughts on using subject tires for trailering? Anyone here using them?

I have a 2019 Z18 with tandem axle trailer. All trailer tires suck, ride horribly, and are way over priced. I don't even like the GY Endurance, ride wise. I think they are too stiff for my load.

The Hankook tires are Load Index 100/1764lbs, T speed rating (118MPH), and designed for small truck and some sedan use. My thinking is that with my boat and trailer, each tire is carrying around 750lbs and most Z18s are on single axle trailers, anyways.

What am I missing?
    Last edited by BarryFL; 04-19-2021 at 01:24 PM.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Air pressure is what determines the ride on the tire. The idea that trailer tires have special sidewalls is a myth. If it was the casing tires wouldn’t go flat when they had a leak. Weigh your trailer and set the pressure where the tire manufacturer recommends for that load.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    What are some thoughts on using subject tires for trailering? Anyone here using them?

I have a 2019 Z18 with tandem axle trailer. All trailer tires suck, ride horribly, and are way over priced. I don't even like the GY Endurance, ride wise. I think they are too stiff for my load.

The Hankook tires are Load Index 100/1764lbs, T speed rating (118MPH), and designed for small truck and some sedan use. My thinking is that with my boat and trailer, each tire is carrying around 750lbs and most Z18s are on single axle trailers.

What am I missing?
    For years I ran Goodyear Marathon trailer tires on my boat trailer. After having continual issues, i.e., knots popping up on the tires, belts shifting, and a close call on a blow out while running 70 mph down the highway, I finally decided to heck with the trailer tires and changed over to Cooper Radial car tires. Just need to make sure the weight and speed ratings are good and the car radials will work just fine for you. Matter of fact, I think they ride better and it's been my experience that you won't have all the issues like you do with the trailer tires. Trailer tires are junk in my opinion.

4. Member
    All of the above that Cat Fan said is so true. Especially the sidewall comment. I ran LT tires on all of my equipment tires for years with no blowouts. Bought a trailer with the special ST trailer designation tires from china and they were JUNK!! Tread coming off, cords breaking, blowouts ECT. Switched back to LT tires with a actual DOT vehicle tire rating and these problems went away along with the China label. New trailers come with China will pops and get switched to LT tires, no issues. I have USA made trailer tires with the same results, no unusual problems. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

5. Banned
    Thanks for all of the replies.

I know some will disagree but, during my research, I found a PSI table for Goodyear Endurance tires that suggest you should run them at an appropriate PSI for load, NOT max PSI all the time like many believe.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

6. Mike Lamb
    I just went to GY Endurance load D tires. I had blow out on my single axle trailer. will see how they work soon.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

7. Banned
    What is your load weight and what PSI are you using?

My fishing buddy runs Endurance and he called Goodyear. They suggested using the inflation PSI for your load (rounded up, if necessary) so that the tires "react" properly. Said too high PSI with light load will cause tires to bounce rather flex over bumps. No different than truck tire PSI corresponding to vehicle weight for proper ride rather than just simply using max PSI which is way too harsh for most people.

8. Mike Lamb
    Each tire will be supporting around 1820lbs. from what I have figured by looking online. So I will be running around 50psi
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike28nc View Post
    Each tire will be supporting around 1820lbs. from what I have figured by looking online. So I will be running around 50psi
    You sound like basically where I am at also. Single axle, heavy load and I run the speed limit + depending on traffic. I am at 50 PSI and have been running the Endurance tires since they came out. I believe 4 years now but last year only had 1 trip. They have been great so far. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

10. Member
    If that is the case that tires made for boat trailers that have an ST rating is a myth, why do tire manufactures like Goodyear and Carlisle advertise that they make one. It seems if what you are saying is true they would or could get the heck sued out of them for false advertisement. Or the government would stop them from selling them with that designation. Definitely not trying to pick a fight with your statement. But maybe I am missing the point you are trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Air pressure is what determines the ride on the tire. The idea that trailer tires have special sidewalls is a myth. If it was the casing tires wouldn’t go flat when they had a leak. Weigh your trailer and set the pressure where the tire manufacturer recommends for that load.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    If that is the case that tires made for boat trailers that Havel an ST rating is a myth, why do tire manufactures like Goodyear and Carlisle advertise that they make one. It seems if what you are saying is true they would or could get the heck sued out of them for false advertisement. Or the government would stop them from selling them with that designation. Definitely not trying to pick a fight with your statement. But maybe I am missing the point you are trying to make.
    The only real difference in ST tires is the tread is designed to be more free rolling, and like LT tires the load ranges are higher than P tires. It’s mostly marketing, designed to make tire selection simpler for people who don’t want to understand tire specifications.

People like to claim for some reason that the sidewalls on trailer tires are stiffer or that the lateral forces on trailer tires are worse than those on vehicle tires. If you look at the structure of a tire, you’ll see that the sidewall is not a distinct structure. Belts run from bead to bead. It’s only notable because of the lack of the extra belts that are added to the part of the tire that contacts the road. The idea that the forces on trailer tires are higher is 100% nonsense. The forces on a front tire on a vehicle while dodging something at speed are way more than the craziest lateral forces a trailer tire ever sees.

I used to live in an area where the residents were 95% Amish. I had 3 flat tires a month on multiple vehicles and trailers from horseshoe nails and did almost all of my flat repairs myself (off the rim) Trailer tire sidewalls are no stiffer than any other tire with similar load rating.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​