Thumbs Up Waxing aluminum?

After years of having fiberglass I bought a aluminum boat this year. Always waxed my glass boats at least once sometimes twice a year. Was wondering if any of you wax your aluminum boats? Also what is a good product to use? Thanks in advance
    "We all have it commin kid....." Will Munny

2. Member
    Assuming your aluminum boat is painted with gloss paint and not flat green, I think I remember seeing a wax product specific for aluminum boats. I will do some research and respond soon.

3. Member
    https://forums.iboats.com/threads/be...uminum.480749/

Here is a post on another forum on this topic. Some seem to think a sealer is best, and some contest that claim. I would call the boat manufacturer and ask for recommendations since it may depend on the type of paint they used.

I know I use to wipe down my glass boat with Lucas slick mist to get rid of water spots. It’s just a liquid wax. Can’t see it harming anything. The decals on aluminum spot up fast.

5. Member
    Absolutely wax or seal your painted aluminum rig! I use Meguiar's M2116 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0. Don't buy the BS that the product you choose has to say "marine" on it.

I prefer a synthetic polymer-type product as opposed to a carnuba wax product as it lasts longer and plays better with rubber, plastic, decals, etc. It makes getting dirt, debris, stain, etc off the paint easier so you can apply less force to wash or wipe clean... hopefully reducing your chance of scratching the gloss finish in the process. At least that is the theory.

DON'T wax or seal the running surface of your hull! It will slow you down as it can make it harder for the hull to "break" the water tension. Stay above the water line with your application.

Is it necessary to wax the paint? I say no... but I feel good about doing it. If you wipe and wash regularly, you are OK.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

6. Member
    Every time I take the boat out of the lake - Eagle One wax as you dry. Boat is black and this stuff mixes with the water on the side of boat so I don't have water spots. No buffing, no nothing. Boat has gloss paint. I don't see any special products for Ford F150s and those are aluminum trucks with gloss paint so don't see why it has to be something specific for aluminum. I never wipe or wax my dull green jon boat.

7. Banned
    wax mine a couple times a year. Wash it with a quality wash about 1/2 dozen times a year. Sometimes quick shine it with the Eagle One product.
    Always immediately wipe it down with a wet chamois after taking out of water.
    Here's what i use:
    wash.jpg
    wax 3.jpg
    wax 4.jpg
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 04-20-2021 at 12:31 PM.