Question Changing from 12 volt to 24 volt trolling motor

I have a 12 volt MinnKota Edge troll motor mounted on the front of my 2016 PT 175 TXW and I am changing to a 24 volt motor. I have purchased a MinnKota Edge 24 volt motor. My question is, if both of these motors have the exact same mounting base, can I just take the new (24 volt) motor and insert it in the mount that is already in place? I realize everything else with the electrical part will need to be redone.

2. Member
    I have no experience with either but if it fits I would try it.
    Bass Boat
    Powered by an outboard
    Electronics at helm and up front
    Pulled by my truck

3. Member
    Probably won't need to upgrade the wiring either, a 24 volt frequently pulls less amps than a 12 volt motor does, and the wire and circuit breaker size are amp sensitive.

4. Member
    As Bill stated above, you shouldn't need to redo anything electrical. Just install a breaker and you'll be fine. I used a 50 amp on mine when I installed my 24/80 Ultrex. It's proven to be a much, MUCH better set up then 12/52.

5. Member
    I would add some additional mounting bolts. Even if you simply add screws. What you would think are bolts, with nuts, furthest toward the front of the boat, are actually screws. You'll have additional hole locations that are not currently used
    whatroads - A pun on the "information super highway"
    Tracker 190 TX
    90 hp Merc
    Fortrex 80 w/ 52" shaft

6. Member
    I replaced my factory 12v Motorguide with a 24 v 70 lb edge and the stock wiring works fine. Those cheap nut inserts that they use to mount the factory motor kept breaking so I drilled it out and put regular nuts and bolts in to hold the motor, no problems since.