Running HDS live units without the sonar or network connected?

Had a dumb question on running the HDS Live units while disconnected from their network or transducers. I wanted to power one up the other day to check a menu option and set the button actions on my remote but got paranoid it would mess up the configuration of the existing calibration of the point 1 or Live Target settings if I did that. Has anyone more familiar done this with or without issues?

2. Member
    I have turned my HDS Live on without my Ghost or the NMEA 2k powered and no issues with the Ghost or it's associated settings. I can't speak to the point 1 and Target, but I would assume it would be no issue. When I do stuff with just the HDS Live I usually just hook up power to the Live.

3. Member
    No issues.
    The only possible issue when using a unit without the other toys connected, is that since all (potential) sources are not available, you will not be able to change settings for sources. As an example, if you want to add something to the quick-buttons on HDS Live like "Stop sonar", you might not be able to do that unless there is a transducer connected, as the HDS will stop you from adding functionality it does not have (at that point).

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    No issues.
    The only possible issue when using a unit without the other toys connected, is that since all (potential) sources are not available, you will not be able to change settings for sources. As an example, if you want to add something to the quick-buttons on HDS Live like "Stop sonar", you might not be able to do that unless there is a transducer connected, as the HDS will stop you from adding functionality it does not have (at that point).
    Have you been able to add “stop sonar” to a quick key? I can’t seem to do that connected or not .

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyg603 View Post
    Have you been able to add “stop sonar” to a quick key? I can’t seem to do that connected or not .
    I don`t have a unit with a quick-key, so I haven`t tried. :)

6. Member
    I run my HDS units on a power adapter at home all the time specifically to make settings changes. As TC mentioned, when not on your network many settings choices will not be shown in your menus, so you won't be able to make all types of changes. You can program quick keys and your LIVE remote (not your Ghost remote).
    ciao,
    Marc

7. Member
    Standby is one of the options available for the quick keys. I have my number 1 key set for that. Saves 1 keystroke but it's easy to hit it when I decide to move to a new spot. Stop Sonar is not one of the options for the quick keys.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Standby is one of the options available for the quick keys. I have my number 1 key set for that. Saves 1 keystroke but it's easy to hit it when I decide to move to a new spot. Stop Sonar is not one of the options for the quick keys.

NoCAL
    I tried this last night and was pleasantly surprised that all the "last found" stuff was there to set up my hotkeys and remote. Stop sonar isn't there but "Pause Structure" and "Pause Sonar" are there but no idea what they do.

9. Member
    I tried this last night and was pleasantly surprised that all the "last found" stuff was there to set up my hotkeys and remote. Stop sonar isn't there but "Pause Structure" and "Pause Sonar" are there but no idea what they do.
    Stop and pause is the same thing in the world of Lowrance. :)

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Stop and pause is the same thing in the world of Lowrance. :)
    Well Pause Sonar didn’t do anything.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post

NoCAL
    I like that “standby” quick key also and set my unit that way. It would nice if “settings” were an option for the quick keys.