Greasing Swivel bracket question - V175 serial number OT275086

Hi Don or anyone that can assist,

I am looking for help on greasing swivel bracket please.

Grease is only coming out of the top of steering swivel tube. NO grease is coming out from the bottom.

• The steering is normal and free moving
    • The grease fitting (zerk) is clean and takes in grease
    • Both top and bottom are wiped cleaned so new grease can be seen
    • Clean grease comes out when fished with thick flurocarbon into the lower part of the tube
    • Tried wrapping fine cloth at the top to maintain pressure to push it down too without success
    • Tried heating to 120 Celcius (248 F) without success

1. Just wondering if the excess grease is only supposed to come out from the top?
    2. What is the best way to grease these if the bottom is frozen possibly due to old grease?

I appreciate any help or suggestion you have on this.

Thank you in advance.
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    thinking grease will always get to top first because zert is closer to top , this saltwater mtr ?????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    thinking grease will always get to top first because zert is closer to top , this saltwater mtr ?????
    Hi Joe54,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes the motor is used in salt water.

Zerk is closer to the top and yes it does come out clean and nicely there.

I have tried wrapping cloth up the top to add more seal pressure to push to the bottom as well. My grease gun is arm lever type with 10,000 psi. Still not getting grease to the bottom.

I thought you should be able to get grease to top and bottom?

Cheers
    Joe

4. Member
    also notice on that parts break down thats an o ring on bottom and seal on top, oring may be doing good job of hold grease on complete shaft and bushings
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As Joe mentioned, earlier models were assembled "bass-ackwards" from how we do it today.

Don't so much look at "how much grease" is coming out or going in, as there's no real spec to go by. Once you've pumped grease in to the point it begins to EXIT at a seal, you need to stop greasing that zerk. You're essentially done (and it's full).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Hi Don,

Thank you for clarifying this.

I have gone crazy thinking that there is problem with the steering swivel not taking in grease properly.

I got it now the older model has oil retainer to seal at the bottom and excess grease only comes out from the top.

You are awesome!

Regards
    Joe

7. Member
    Hi Joe54.

Thank you for pointing out the bottom has o-ring (as per parts breakdown diagram).

Now that Don had clarified it, the situation makes sense.

I was overthinking this and overzealous in trying to get grease out the bottom.

Cheers
    Joe

8. Member
    cheers down under