12v for a 24v trolling motor?

Specifically an Ultrex. Will it work? Will it damage the trolling motor? I don't care about damage to the battery unless it'll makes it explode and such.

For light use and short time span.

2. Member
    It won’t run on 12 volts,at all.

3. Member
    Why?

4. Member
    Very likely stuff that runs on 12v is probably now being converted from 24 to 12 is something less than 12 with the 12v input
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Why?
    I'm short because I'm poor.

Long answer, one of my 12v lithium battery is busted. Waiting for a replacement or going with a new pair. Either way, it's going to take a little bit of time before that happens. Hoping less than 2 moths.

Since I still have 1 good battery, wondering if that will work at all. I don't need full thrust. Typically on 3-4 on the dial.

Weather is nice out. Got the boat all cleaned up. Want to hit the waters.

6. Member
    Give it a go. It might just work.

7. Member
    It is not recommended that you run a 24 volt Ultrex on 12 volts. Will it work maybe so, but not for long. Too many things could happen. then you will be stuck at the ASC for repair because you ran it on 12 volts.
    Low voltage means high amps means something will fry.

8. Member
    It may work. Is the motor just a 5 speed? If it is, yes. It will just give you half the power of 24V.

If it is a PWM motor, 0-100%, The motor itself, the thing at the bottom, will run on 12 volts no issue. What could be the issue is the control boards, if the motor had power steering and such. That stuff may only run in 24Volts.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    It is not recommended that you run a 24 volt Ultrex on 12 volts. Will it work maybe so, but not for long. Too many things could happen. then you will be stuck at the ASC for repair because you ran it on 12 volts.
    Low voltage means high amps means something will fry.
    Listen to Brad. Lower voltage will create more heat and create damage. John (Jones) used to say the same.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S