Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just noticed that I messed up my original post. My tourney partner is running the Garmin Force not the Ghost.

He is really hard on his equipment though! He fishes more tourneys than anyone that I know as well though. He competes in 4-6 different events a month. There's rarely a time that he's on the water and not competing! COVID has made his work schedule very accommodating to that lifestyle. He literally could have bought any boat he wanted but stuck with the Vexus 2080 so that he didn't have to worry so much about bouncing the hull of rocks and stumps.

2. Member
    Ultrex has been solid going on 4 years. None of the others have that track record.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrub View Post
    Your partner is rough on his equipment. I've had my ghost for a year, has a couple of dings on it but still looks new for the most part. My prop is scarred up but thats expected for a year of use. I bought the ghost because I couldn't decide between 24v or 36v and because I have a Lowrance 12" Carbon on the front of my Champion.
    So, after the one year test, do you think you would need the extra battery for frequent tournament fishing?
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    Ultrex has been solid going on 4 years. None of the others have that track record.
    X2
    Veteran 82nd Airborne Division " ALL THE WAY "

5. Member
    On my second Ultrex. Also have a Fortrex here for when the Ultrex breaks...again.

6. Member
    Ultrex

7. Member
    I’ve only used the Ultrex and Force. The Ghost seems similar enough to the Force that I’ll consider them as a single class.

The Ultrex is a fine trolling motor. I’d say go with it if you’re using other Johnson outdoors products, already using 36V, and/or can’t justify the price difference.

If you’re using Garmin or Lowrance electronics and can pay a little more (or get a great deal; 25% off from Camping World is why I have mine) I’d definitely recommend the Force or Ghost. The brushless motor really does make a difference, especially if you’re going to go 24V.

I’d really like to try the new Motorguide. I suspect that it steers the best of them all if it’s a true cable steer. I’d like to see them have a brushless 24v model.

There’s a chance that any will have problems. That said, Garmin customer service is top notch.

8. Banned
    I know a guy that has a Garmin. On more than one occasion and during tournaments he has had pedal issues where it would not work. Had to do everything with the remote.

9. Member
    What electronics are you running? If your using Garmin, go with the Force, if Lowrance then the Ghost, if Humminbird then buy a second hand Ultrex and save for their (hopefully soon to be released) brushless offering.

All of them are fantastic, they have their pro’s and cons, but brushless is worth the extra expense/ wait
    Last edited by Smokeyr67; 04-30-2021 at 01:33 PM. Reason: fat fingers

10. Member
    I've had my force for over a year... had to replace the pedal, which garmin had at my door overnight. Been a great motor.

11. Member
    Considering my new MK is backlogged 2 months - end of June time frame, I definitely don't expect to see accessible new technology for awhile from MK.

I'm very satisfied with my Ultrex. I'm going to stay with it until MK introduces an upgraded version. If it has a better lift assist and hopefully, brushless motor, I'll stick with MK. If not, I'll research them all again.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokeyr67 View Post
    What electronics are you running? If your using Garmin, go with the Force, if Lowrance then the Ghost, if Humminbird then buy a second hand Ultrex and save for their (hopefully soon to be released) brushless offering.
    I could not disagree with this more than I do.

14. Member
    Just get the Power Pole trolling motor and be done. They say it’s a “game changer”

15. Member
    I still use a 24v OMC Hi thrust motor. At least 23 yrs old. Runs great. Can't justify spending $3k when I have the best trolling motor ever made.

16. Member
    MK will not relase a date for brushless if they have date in mind, then they would be stuck with a stockpile of trolling motors no one would want

17. Member
    Second season on a Garmin Force. Best thing I've done to the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    I'm very satisfied with my Ultrex. I'm going to stay with it until MK introduces an upgraded version. If it has a better lift assist and hopefully, brushless motor, I'll stick with MK. If not, I'll research them all again.

Exactly how I feel - I've had 3 Ultrex's and all have been great.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle;[URL="tel:11857365"
    11857365[/URL]]I could not disagree with this more than I do.
    Very informative reply....

20. Member
    Been using the Ultrex for 6 years and its been the best TM I've ever had no complaints here
    USMC 1966 - 1968
    Combat Vets Association Georgia Chapter 25-1
    1999 Cobra 201S 2012 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Bird 798 & 1198 Minn Kota Ultrex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast