Mercury 150 XRI no response from idle to full throttle (stuck choke)?

bought a ( new to me ) 1997 19 ft skeeter Mercury 150 XRI

the first three times out on the lake ran like a dream , last week on the lake again took off from the boat ramp got on plane for a while , stop to fish and troll around . then start the motor back up to leave got back on plane then the boat (on its own ) got off plane slowed down to idle . now the boat will not accelerate past idle even with the throttle all the way forward, reverse works like it should . there is a (push key in to choke ) on this boat and i'm wondering if the choke stuck ??? . causing it not to run right and where is the choke located on this motor? , is this type of choke vacuum controlled or electrical??? i've checked the spark plugs all is well there. the throttle cables work like they should . it's not a spun prop have a new prop and bushing replaced last month , checked the fuel no water in tanks

any info or help would be appreciated , thanks

2. Member
    If your sure the throttle cable is operating as it should I’d next check the linkage on the motor. There are several places where a clip could break causing the linkage to come apart and not physically open up the throttle. If all that looks good next I’d check the TPI sensor. TPI= throttle position sensor. That would have to be done by a dealer.
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC!

This engine would be a 2.5L 2-stroke (moving the thread to the appropriate forum for you). It would also be fuel injected (no choke).

Is the engine accelerating (ie: RPM's increasing but you're not going anywhere), or it just refuses to plane off?

If you would, please take a minute to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor